Filling holes

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The badge would be moved to the batter end of the drum. Just like gretsch or yamaha View attachment 455294
Darn That Live Custom looks the part! I like those Yamaha Live in Bebop +1 (a 10)
It'd be a Yamaha set I'd consider owning))

if I had to..
reminds me of one of Elvin's sets..

There it is.
too weird tiger finish

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Darn That Live Custom looks the part! Buy IT!

Where's the Reverb link to that... I like those Yamaha Live in Bebop +1 (a 10)
It'd be a Yamaha set I'd consider owning))
My Slingerlands sound better than any Yamaha set could even dream about sounding.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah but could they take the Abuse... ; ) /
You don't think you could make those Yamaha's sound good? yes you could..
Look at them..

Keep the Slingerlands for your vintage set and those for the modern dates.
I'd say those Live's look equal to my Usa satin Gretsch
unless they sound funny..and I don't think (..) they do..

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
You were looking for Maple Customs a week ago/ You sold your G's/ You haven't replaced the G's yet/
Anyway I'd hit them
That bass drum hoop looks like (the width of) Elvins.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Slingerlands are going to grave with me. I also have my premier apk birch. They sound great. Tuned with coated pinstripes and blanket inside bass drum. Great teaching kit and am using on my gig this Saturday

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
there's room in that grave for another hi end besides the Slingerland set...what's it gonna Be K ; ) What's it gonna be?.
man talk about downsizing.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
$8000 new concrete steps and walkway at our 1939 house or new drumset.

Our walkway is the original from 1939. Talk about vintage and filling holes!

Hmmm

Ill give you my wife's phone number you can try to convince her I NEED a new kit.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry - don't like that. I'd probably leave it where is. I don't recall if that is an original 12x16 or was cut down. If cut down, and rewrapped and extra holes for the aftermarket mount, it may not make any difference in value.
The rail mount is a new steve maxwell railmount
Its a 16x16 cut down to 16x13.
This set is a mutt. ZERO aftermarket value.
12x8 late 1960s tom in tiger red pearl. Misplaced badge. Paid about $250
14x14 stage band shell only..no hardware paid $67
16x16 from 1971 chrome finish $free
14x5 snare 1963 in white satin flame paid $178
22x14 bass drum from 1971 salvaged for parts. $free
Tons of extra holes ....

Paid $$$ for Precision Drum to do the work.

This is a players kit and is my gigging kit. So a slingerland/vintage collector will have no interest in them anyway.

But Im not selling so its a moot point.

At this point the yamaha mount and hole filling is just a little more icing on the cake.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im super happy with the results!

Not only do I get the best tom arm/mount in the business but you cannot even begin to see 6 filled holes in this video. And this is from only 3-5 feet away.

My wife couldnt even find them until I pointed them out . Even then...you have to be 6" away to see them.
I challenge anyone to find the filled holes. Even if you play this in slo mo and screen shot and blow it up...you cant see them
Amazing work.

I think the glitter/sparkle wraps hide things better. I know an oyster pearl wrap would be another story

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah baby those look great!!!! Vintage drums (old wood) with new mounting hardware, best combo ever! Holes schmoles. Patch schmatch. But yes, it does look like PDC did great work as always.

If they are drums that you LOVE, make them your own and make life easier. Resell, originality, whatever be damned. Great sound, ease (and consistency) of setup and tear down, great looks... Really what else is there?

Let the flippers flip, let the collectors collect, let the vintage drum geeks geek out and obsess. Let the drum companies try to reinvent the wheel. No offense to anyone. Me? I'm a musician, I play music.

A great drummer told me a long while back, (when he was around the age that I am now,) "It's time to start working smart, I'm too old to be working hard." In some (actually many) ways, I 1000% agree. You and I are about the same age.

Someone gave you some great advice on that project, now go and play the hell out of them! BIG Congrats!!!

Now go and have a BIG ice cold mug of green tea with honey, lemon, and a touch of fresh berry juice (of some sort) on me.

Cheers!
MSG

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah baby those look great!!!! Vintage drums (old wood) with new mounting hardware, best combo ever! Holes schmoles. Patch schmatch. But yes, it does look like PDC did great work as always.

If they are drums that you LOVE, make them your own and make life easier. Resell, originality, whatever be damned. Great sound, ease (and consistency) of setup and tear down, great looks... Really what else is there?

Let the flippers flip, let the collectors collect, let the vintage drum geeks geek out and obsess. Let the drum companies try to reinvent the wheel. No offense to anyone. Me? I'm a musician, I play music.

A great drummer told me a long while back, (when he was around the age that I am now,) "It's time to start working smart, I'm too old to be working hard." In some (actually many) ways, I 1000% agree. You and I are about the same age.

Someone gave you some great advice on that project, now go and play the hell out of them! BIG Congrats!!!

Now go and have a BIG ice cold mug of green tea with honey, lemon, and a touch of fresh berry juice (of some sort) on me.

Cheers!
MSG
Love you man.
I get to gig them tonight 6-9
The facebook page members love them too.
Gary did them himself.
Best shop in the world and only 1-2 days shipping from me.
I've been there and hung out.
Super groovy place and people.

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Interesting project - I didn't realize these were orphan/cut down until this thread. A true players kit.

Nice to see how these turned out. Cool project.