Filling holes

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love love love that mount. Even the look.

Edit 3:02 est
Just got done spending some quality time with the 12". It sings as great as ever. Beautiful warm tone with plenty of ring and overtones!

Bottom line is PDC does amazing work.

Last edited:

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit!
In my experience it doesn't matter that you use a hardwood dowel if you have wrap going over it anyway. But I'm anal and equally concerned about what the plugged holes look like on the interior of the shell, and often times will use tapered plugs with the face grain on the interior of a natural shell when going with a wrap on the exterior.
I'm curious as to what Precision did, if anything, to make the interior of the repair blend in with the rest of the shell.
Any chance you have pictures of the interior?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Turn volume off....

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for taking the time to make a video of the interior. Much appreciated.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yw. Im 100% player not a collector so the interior is 100% fine with me just as it is.

The drum sounds warm and open and singing...

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watson loves me no matter what I do. Man's best friend. He is very non-judgmental :D

Reactions: JDA

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always filled with tapered maple plugs and then sanded down.
That's what I do. If the hole is larger than what my tapered plug cutters will make I turn one on my wood lathe. Once sanded down smooth on both sides they look professional. Precision's job gets the job done but I would not feel OK putting out that sort of work.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's what I do. If the hole is larger than what my tapered plug cutters will make I turn one on my wood lathe. Once sanded down smooth on both sides they look professional. Precision's job gets the job done but I would not feel OK putting out that sort of work.
I think precision did it flawlessly. Im a little confused by your comment.

What part dont you like about the finished product?

My musician friends couldnt even see the filled holes until I showed them up close

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think they did a great job on the outside of the drum. The inside is what I'm talking about. Some of the dowels are too short and at least one it sitting proud of the shell. When I plug holes they are sanded smooth and even with the shell inside and out.

ThomasL

Reaction score
I think they did a great job on the outside of the drum. The inside is what I'm talking about. Some of the dowels are too short and at least one it sitting proud of the shell. When I plug holes they are sanded smooth and even with the shell inside and out.
Sanding is only an option if you're refinishing the drum inside out. Otherwise, you have to make the plugs the right length (and curvature) from the beginning, which is easiest done by cutting them from a piece of scrap shell of the same diameter and thickness.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sanding is only an option if you're refinishing the drum inside out. Otherwise, you have to make the plugs the right length (and curvature) from the beginning, which is easiest done by cutting them from a piece of scrap shell of the same diameter and thickness.
I beg to differ.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh. Ok. I see.
Yeah. I could care less unless wood shaving start falling inside the shell.

The outside looks like a total re-wrap from 2 feet away and they sound the same as before I sent them.

Im 100% sure Ill never find myself on a future gig getting distracted and lost in the music because Im obsessing about the interior dowel job. :D

But if I were a vintage drum restorer it would keep me up at night for sure!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
How do you sand if you plug a hole in a wrapped drum with finished inside?
A very sharp chisel takes care of 95% to 98% of it. Careful sanding with a small sanding stick takes care of the rest. If it is an older drum with no interior finish then not much to worry about. If it is a painted interior then a layer of masking tape will protect the paint. Regardless. If someone were paying me to patch a hole the plugged hole would be smooth and the finish would be touched up in that area.

Most drum repair shops employ people who are not expert woodworkers. They are only woodworkers in a sense because most drums are made of wood.