Finally a Ludwig owner...

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stopped at one of my usual pawn shop haunts Friday on the way home from work and found these out on the floor.
178750A3-234F-4183-B23A-3492A2C9AEF0.jpeg

Asking price was high. Managed to get it down considerably. Paid more than I wanted to but less than I think they’re worth. Thanks to @KCDrumDad for answering his phone quickly and providing advice.

I think they’re completely original down to the heads. Only the snare batter has been swapped to an Ambassador a LONG time ago. All are SN 52,000 range and date stamped late October 1967 except the odd 13” which is a January ‘69 date stamp. I’m thinking they’ll clean up really nicely. No rust here in Arizona thankfully. I’ll need to find a proper wing nut and washer for the BD cymbal mount and a fender washer and nut for the BD interior Tom mount. Think that’s it. Oh. And elbow grease. The tub I bought several years ago is empty.....

5610F1FC-1642-4051-8395-76A93F9B8E1F.jpeg

A22BFC51-4F28-4797-A095-204D448AA35B.jpeg

DA18ACE9-F7F0-4F9A-AB5D-0F145D8D7019.jpeg

B476C29E-C066-480A-8F9B-4E817F9EF6BC.jpeg

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I’m guessing the original configuration was the typical 20/12/14 Club Date and the 13” was added/ordered later. I’m happy to see the original owner didn’t alter the BD to accommodate the 13”. Welcome to the Club!

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice score. I love center lugged drums! Can't wait to seem em all cleaned up, are you going to gig em?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow. Nice score. I love center lugged drums! Can't wait to seem em all cleaned up, are you going to gig em?
I’m actually a really good drum owner, but I don’t play so much these days. They’ll stay in the music room and get use, but they likely won’t leave the house until I decide if I should sell them.

My wife’s already registered her vote....

But they’re a birth year kit for me. Missed my birth month 30 days late. So they’re kinda cool for that reason too.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, and it came with a full set of the Gretsch black naugahide cases, so that was nice. Only one broken zipper. And the original drum key and an old Sonor drum key that fits a regular tension rod. It’s kinda cool. Didn’t have a Sonor key in the bunch until now.

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Crash, youve bought and sold so many kits and posted so many I don’t recall it. Have a picture?
But, of course! I somehow ended up with 3 20" sets at once. Kept the EGP Gretsch because of the rarity. The Ludwig had a wider, more open tuning range, was much lighter. My mistake. It was a storage locker find that cleaned up beautifully. Before pic is from the guy's CL ad.
3k13L73Fd5La5G25K1cbmd96de78a34f21127.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
But, of course! I somehow ended up with 3 20" sets at once. Kept the EGP Gretsch because of the rarity. The Ludwig had a wider, more open tuning range, was much lighter. My mistake. It was a storage locker find that cleaned up beautifully. Before pic is from the guy's CL ad.
View attachment 394319
View attachment 394318
Awesome. That “pre” config is hideously cool. I did something similar with my Gretsch Playboy kit because I had to have that extra tom.... Did he have the hardware or did you have to find it separately for the resto?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome. That “pre” config is hideously cool. I did something similar with my Gretsch Playboy kit because I had to have that extra tom.... Did he have the hardware or did you have to find it separately for the resto?
Had to hunt it down. Did you notice the ski pole Tom support?

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Those are some nice drums. if you want to keep the 13, get yourself the vertical part of the consolette & add it to your rail. An easy conversion to double rack toms, with no drilling.........marko

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are some nice drums. if you want to keep the 13, get yourself the vertical part of the consolette & add it to your rail. An easy conversion to double rack toms, with no drilling.........marko
Thanks Marko. Think I’ll clean it up and sell it and see if I can’t offset the cost a bit. Might sell my BO badge super sensitive and just keep the acro as it seems to belong with the kit.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are looking better already. Of course, I was looking at the pawn shop pictures on my phone on Friday.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
My pusher was in town this weekend. He injected my recent acquisition with a period correct HH stand, snare stand and a couple of missing washers and a cymbal holder wing nut. Special thanks to @KCDrumDad for personally flying these bits all the way to me in Arizona.

Oh, and that snare butt end you brought will finally complete my Acrophonic snare. I’ll post on that separately in the future.

Attachments