Finally finished building/assembling my Rocker kit

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This project started 7-8 months ago, when I got a set of 12/13/16/22 Ludwig Rocker shells (no hardware other than bass spurs) off Craigslist for $20. These are the four ply, brownish-grey granitone interior shells. I added some rims and hoops from another kit, and Rocker/Standard lugs, claws and tension rods from Craiglist and this forum over several months.

I debated what to do about wrap, and decided to try the "credit-card thick" stuff on ebay. It came precut, and though it's clearly not as good as "the good stuff," it went on easily, other than having to laboriously trim it back from the edges of the shells so it wouldn't "pooch" when tightening the heads on. The wrap looks good, feels like it will stay on just fine, and though the depth of the sparkle isn't like some of the "glass sparkles" I've seen, it's nice and looks better than my camera phone could capture.

Last night I gigged it for the first time. The drums are noticeably lighter than my six-ply Luddies. The toms actually are easier to get a nice deep ringing tone out of (same heads). The bass I need to work on - didn't sound or feel quite as solid as I'd like, and it was way too boomy for the room so I had to stuff my jacket in the porthole - I'll use something a bit more subtle for tonight's gig. Played it with my trusty KB Acro.

Overall I am very pleased, had a great time making "my own thing," and will really get this kit dialed in over the next few gigs. I learned a LOT from posts and discussions on this Forum, so thanks!

Here's one "before" photo of one of the shells when I was removing the cheap black wrap, and then a couple from last night.

Attachments

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice job! I have a Rocker II also that I've been contmplating on re-wraping with that stuff. Was also thinking about stain but yours seems to be partially speckled on the outside too. If that's the case with mine I will just wrap it. Could I order it cut a little shorter so I wouldn't have to trim?

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Devil,

I was thinking about staining till I took off the old wrap - not only is there overspray on the granitone, but the wood pieces used for the outside plies aren't color-matched, it's not completely smooth (you can see the slight "mound" in one picture) ... just didn't seem an option once I saw it.

Yes you can ask the guy to cut, say, 7 or 7.25 inches wide for an 8x12 tom (I think he cuts it 1/2 inch smaller than the shell depth... can't remember). On the other hand, if he were to cut too much, you could have a slight gap. The stuff cuts very easily with scissors or a utility knife so while it was some work, I think it was best to do that detail work myself.

Ben

Attachments

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hey Ben,

Nice job, man! It's always nice to see a kit that was once suffering from many issues brought back to life again. Knowing that you did it yourself is also a great source of pride. I really like the hue of the red wraps - very classy. Continuing the "dialing in" process is always great fun. Enjoy them.

You've proven a point I make to a few of my students. You can have a nice looking, great sounding kit that is uniquely yours without spending a fortune. Again, nice job.

JohnL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great nice job. Which wrap is that? It's not the stick on stuff is it? Do you have a link to it?

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments y'all. I really have enjoyed the process - I already had four kits so I couldn't justify spending a lot of dough. TooMany, I see that you have a rewrapped red sparkle kit too - an old Gretsch, must be sweet!

JohnL, I can't seem to paste the link - search ebay for "Classic Red Sparkle Credit-Card Thick Drum Wrap."

Below are a couple photos of the stuff when I was putting it on. You can also get similar product from some fabric shops or websites. Again, I'm not sayin' it's the best thing out there, but it's clearly better than the "SparkleBrite" stick-on stuff you're referring to. This has tape at the ends, which so far has been really solid, especially once the hardware's on.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Attachments