Finally! Finished the 2nd build.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So this is a Champagne Drums birch shell with a bubinga veneer. The lugs are Cito lugs from Champagne Drums as well. Very light weight, felt like titanium toothpicks as far as their weight goes. I'm trying to remember the exact specs--but I bought this shell over a year ago. 14x7, 1/2" thick. . .

Super hoops--interesting. I'm a big fan of the DW Mag Throw and 3 pos. butt. Fat Cat 30 strand snare wires.

The first set of pics were taken indoors with flash. Then you see the outdoor pics. I'm a horrible photographer. I have no clue as to how to take good quality pics. But, you get the gist.

Minwax spray lacquer finish. I used a lacquer adhesion spray first. From my "I got the runs" thread, some of you know that I had problems with the finish. I think it looks great now. However it does not shine quite as much as I wanted. I wet sanded a lot of the first coats of lacquer back, to get rid of the runs I encountered. It is SMOOOVE, very nice as far as the feel of the finish. I like the sound. No dampening, a bit of mild sustain/ring. Rather dry. Currently a higher tuning.

Oh, I put a TON of tung oil on this drum to start with. A couple coats on the inside as well. I used nearly an entire bottle on the exterior.

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Outstanding work!!! That is a super job, I'd be proud to own that myself, thanks for sharing.... maybe a video is next? Again, just a wonderful build!

deegeebee

Reaction score
Very nice! Have been eyeing the Champagne Drums hardware and shells for a while, but not much of a handyman myself for cutting edges, drilling etc. Love the look of his classic tube lugs. Would love to hear this drum, how are the bearing edges/snare beds cut?

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Outstanding work!!! That is a super job, I'd be proud to own that myself, thanks for sharing.... maybe a video is next? Again, just a wonderful build!
I will do my darnedest to post a video here soon. Thanks for the kind words.

Very nice! Have been eyeing the Champagne Drums hardware and shells for a while, but not much of a handyman myself for cutting edges, drilling etc. Love the look of his classic tube lugs. Would love to hear this drum, how are the bearing edges/snare beds cut?
I did a 45 degree with an outer roundover. And the snare beds are nearly invisible (not very wide, maybe 2mm deep). With that said, I'm not having any problems with weird vibrations. That's a 30 strand Fat Cat too. . .not creating any problems with sound.

Greg will cut edges for a nominal fee. And the drilling, well--I felt EXACTLY the same way. You just have to do it. I'm a DIY'r for a while now. But never did much wood working of any kind. It's not as bad as it seems. The only thing you can do is try. Make your mistakes. Correct them. And do your best to not do them again. On my first build, I filled some holes, re-drilled, had not so perfect vertical and horizontal lines in my drilling. It didn't look bad, the imperfections were millimeters. But being the builder, I could obviously see it.

I downloaded free drum building mats. They were HUGELY helpful. Had them laminated at Office Depot. They will last me forever.
Nice job! How is she sounding?
Mild sustain with the coated G1, very mild. I'm not planning on adding ANY dampening. It's a nice tight, dry sound. Low volume sensitivity. Tuned high for the time being.

The WORST part about this build. . .when I started the oiling process during winter, I found that at some point, the large puppy put about 4 or 5 teeth marks on one bearing edge. AHHHHHH!! :banghead:
So I had to use do some fill work and sanding. I know. Don't put the dang drum where the dog can get to it. She's a wood chewer. . . Anyway.

Thanks again guys for the positive comments.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, it's 3/8" thick, not 1/2". 1/2" was my first choice, but to save a little dough. . .