Finally found a 60’s Slingerland Bop kit to buy

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/groups/drumkey1/permalink/3373149506046892/?sale_post_id=3373149506046892

These are being brought over to me today to inspect. { Will use proper protection to handle them}
If condition is as shown, I’m pretty likely to make the purchase.
I’m not a flipper, so would not be thinking about profit.
I have regretted selling my 69 Black sparkle kit for a long time
These do not come up very often. I realize its not inexpensive, but I’ll sell another kit to help fund it.
Can someone give me an opinion on possible options to repair and stabilize the wrap crack near the BD spur ?
It would seem that some glue carefully placed under the crack edges, and clamps could work.
Also your thought on the kit in general.
Thanks all, and stay safe

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, a little glue and clamp work would have that split stable in a day. Lovley kit, good luck with the review and decision.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For value comparisons figure out what the most each drum is worth on its own....add them up. Compare to what a similar (and more common) Ludwig kit would bring. Typically Slingerlands are around 60-65% the price of a comparable Ludwig. Be fussy. It's your money. Way different market today than just 3-6 months ago.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Nice looking kit. Even with the bass drum crack. Just take the crack into account as you negotiate price. It does detract from value somewhat but it doesn't appear to be structural. Have him send you a pic of the inside of the bass drum showing the area where the crack in the wrap appears. If no crack in the shell, then it shouldn't have any effect on the sound, just appearance. I love these old Slingerlands.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For value comparisons figure out what the most each drum is worth on its own....add them up. Compare to what a similar (and more common) Ludwig kit would bring. Typically Slingerlands are around 60-65% the price of a comparable Ludwig. Be fussy. It's your money. Way different market today than just 3-6 months ago.
Understood, but sentimental about Slingerland Bop kits
Had 60’ s and 70’s Ludwig bop kits already. Both pretty great examples.
Just want to experience this niche again
I realize Slingerland’s values are lower than all other brands
Thanks

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice looking kit. Even with the bass drum crack. Just take the crack into account as you negotiate price. It does detract from value somewhat but it doesn't appear to be structural. Have him send you a pic of the inside of the bass drum showing the area where the crack in the wrap appears. If no crack in the shell, then it shouldn't have any effect on the sound, just appearance. I love these old Slingerlands.
I’m seeing them shortly, will look inside, and will take off the spur to see the origin of the crack.
He has already given me a discount off of quoted price.
If the crack is horrible, then I’ll reconsider everything
Thanks

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those ripples tend to split like mad (Rogers and Slingerland). To just have that one small split by the spur mount is no big deal. Those thinner wraps like the ripples, capri, and mardi gras, tend to also "buldge" near the edges and lugs. It won't affect sound of course. I would recommend finding looser fitting heads and leaving the lugs on if you want to clean them.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I made the buy. The only flaws I found, are that crack, and 1/2” of missing inlay on both hoops.
All of that can be hidden from view, in which case the rest of it all would be stunning in every way.
I’d be keeping them in a controlled temperature, so I would not anticipate the crack expanding.
All original, and clean hardware as far as I can tell, and no fade on the wraps at all. Seams are perfect.
Jack Lawton was nice enough to give me an assessment.
He can fill, and tint the crack if I was really obsessive about it all.
Hope I can get them to sound good.
I’m keeping them in the garage for 3 days so they shed any possible NYC germs.
Did I overpay for a Slingerland Bop Kit? Yes, but after 5 years of looking and having them dropped off at my door, and the beauty of the kit, I’m OK with it.
I did get a better price than quoted.
Someone will eventually get them for a better price than I paid .
Thank you to everyone for chiming in.

Attachments

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those ripples tend to split like mad (Rogers and Slingerland). To just have that one small split by the spur mount is no big deal. Those thinner wraps like the ripples, capri, and mardi gras, tend to also "buldge" near the edges and lugs. It won't affect sound of course. I would recommend finding looser fitting heads and leaving the lugs on if you want to clean them.
Points taken.
I know that info to be correct from previous experiences.
I think I actually got a bit lucky to only have that one split in the wrap.
Thank you

Latest posts