Finally I Can Rest Now (citrus mod content)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So this post may sound a little long winded but reading this is nowhere near as time consuming the wait on this set took. Here's a little backstory. I have a very vague memory of being at a jazz band workshop back when I was part of my high school jazz band in 1989. Our school never had a set so some kid that played that day supplied the set and I am probably 95 percent sure it was a Hollywood citrus mod set. I have always been crazy about Ludwig drums but as far as really knowing Ludwig history and collecting vintage drums, that started about 1990 when I graduated high school. fast forward a few years and I run into a kid I went to school with. he was playing a white Ludwig rocker set from the 80's in a punk band with some friends of his. I saw him practice one day and when we start talking drums, he mentions that he has some old funky colored Ludwig set that he's not using because he says it wasn't playable at the time. I keep asking him about it and he tells me that I can check it out at some point. This was probably 25 years ago. I would run in to him occasionally and we would joke about how I was going to acquire those drums and fix them up. At this point I also did really know what finish he had as I was going off his word and the description he had. I have seen sets that were described to me as having a psychedelic finish only to find out they were Ludwig standards. As I would occasionally see this guy(very rarely) I would joke about him keeping the drums out of any water areas or sunlight. This was also way before cell phones so i could never get a hold of him.

Fast forward to almost two years ago and I find him on facebook. I sent him a message and kindly asked if he still had the drums. After bit of a wait he responded that he did but they were unusable and needed lots of work. I still pressured a little and one day out of the blue I get two very low lit pics that made my heart jump..... citrus mod Hollywood set with B/O badges. Damn! Basically we worked out a deal on facebook that involved some trading of things but for some reason I could never get a hold of this guy. I even got his number but he was always working so many crazy hours that he never had the time. Last Saturday as I went to visit a friend that lives close, I decided to see if he was home. As luck would have it he was and he let me take the drums! Being a drum collector takes a fair amount of patience but I feel like this set took a lifetime. here are the particulars.

The set is absolutely filthy. I was told it has not been used since 1992! This person was given the set by someone else we both know in the 80's. It was missing parts and has the wrong hoops on the bass drum. The wrap is lifting in places and the bass drum has a small gouge close to one of the edges. Some of the tom hoops have rust and all the hardware needs a dawn soak. The bass drum badge was also spinning and I managed to tighten it back up with a grommet tool I have. I also have a set of hoops with white inlay that I removed to repaint and replace with bumwrap inlay. The drums are all dated Feb 9 1971 with the exception of the bass drum that is Feb 10 1971. This is going to be a fun project that will take some effort and time but it's going to be awesome when it's done. They will be loved, gigged and find a permanent home in between my psych red rock duo set and my mod orange super classic. I've been pretty busy with gigs and life so this may take some time. I will post the finished results when I finish.

I'm sorry to steal any thunder from the other citrus thread(which is going to be awesome too!) but once I saw that I felt it was time to post mine and make this a citrus week. here are a few grimy pics. The second pic is all the missing parts I had to finish things up.

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks again Kevin. They really are pretty filthy! Every time I touch them I feel like I need to wash my hands. It will be fun getting them done and even more fun taking them out on a gig.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
can anyone tell me why citrus mod does not seem to fade, when mod orange and psychedelic red are almost sure too?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's the lavender in M.O. and the green in P.R. that fade. The other colors in those wraps are fairly stable, or at least retain some color when they fade instead of turning gray or white. I think in the case of C.M. they just lucked out that that phosphorescent green they chose to use is not as sensitive to fading in UV light as the deeper green they used in P.R. was.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That's a great question and I wish I knew why that is. The only answer I might be able to surmise is that all the particular colors in this finish are ones that are prone to fading. The green in citrus mod is a different shade of green than the green is psychedelic red. If you notice with psychedelic red, the colors that stay true are the blue and red colors which often times make a set look patriotic as the green areas turn white.

I'm guessing that the yellow, the different green, the orange and the red just happen to be a mix of the colors less likely to fade. I know that the orange will fade a little as original mod orange sets have a darker orange to it. The orange certainly does not fade like the purple or the psych red green so it probably takes a strong amount of light to get the orange to wash out. I have never see a citrus set that looks faded but at the same time I'm certainly not going to test out my guesses on this set once I finish it. When it comes to gigging outside I usually take my classic maple champagne set with UV protected wrap. I certainly plan to gig the citrus set but I'm still going to be careful with them.

It's really too bad that psych red and mod orange were prone to fade. I love both colors but I can be OK with faded mod orange as it still looks cool to me. I am not much of a fan of faded psych red though. The greens really make that finish pop. Kevin(K.O.) did a great coloring in the greens in his early 70's psych red. That takes a lot of patience and work.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome Kurt and great story! Persistence is the key to any success. No thunder stolen....only a world wind of Citrus! They look awesome.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Awesome Kurt and great story! Persistence is the key to any success. No thunder stolen....only a world wind of Citrus! They look awesome.

I can't wait to see how yours comes out. I was going to wait to post mine but a citrus week sounded good to me. I started on the bass drum and I'm so glad that citrus doesn't fade like mod orange and psych red. My bass drum was quite filthy and after a good cleaning on the shell it looks much better. I love it when the color under a lug is the same as the color on the exposed areas! I still have to glue down the seams and do all the lugs. I don't typically play two toms up top but I'm thinking I should get one of the newer Ludwig diamond mount for the bass drum just so I can use the memory lock and keep things in place. I'm really trying to keep things as original to the set as I can but as longs as I keep the original it won't be a problem. I know I'm going to want to set this up with the two toms at some point and I would rather have it as easy as possible. I hope I can find time to work on these soon. It's so damn time consuming but I really excited to get these done.

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Amazing story Kurt. Meant to be yours. In good hands now! Enjoy those.

Mike

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
What a find! What a story! What persistence! Glad they are in your hands now,Kurt! Will follow this story with great interest! Everyone loves a happy ending!

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s an awesome story and congrats on finally landing them. Can’t wait to see them all cleaned up.

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So this post may sound a little long winded but reading this is nowhere near as time consuming the wait on this set took. Here's a little backstory. I have a very vague memory of being at a jazz band workshop back when I was part of my high school jazz band in 1989. Our school never had a set so some kid that played that day supplied the set and I am probably 95 percent sure it was a Hollywood citrus mod set. I have always been crazy about Ludwig drums but as far as really knowing Ludwig history and collecting vintage drums, that started about 1990 when I graduated high school. fast forward a few years and I run into a kid I went to school with. he was playing a white Ludwig rocker set from the 80's in a punk band with some friends of his. I saw him practice one day and when we start talking drums, he mentions that he has some old funky colored Ludwig set that he's not using because he says it wasn't playable at the time. I keep asking him about it and he tells me that I can check it out at some point. This was probably 25 years ago. I would run in to him occasionally and we would joke about how I was going to acquire those drums and fix them up. At this point I also did really know what finish he had as I was going off his word and the description he had. I have seen sets that were described to me as having a psychedelic finish only to find out they were Ludwig standards. As I would occasionally see this guy(very rarely) I would joke about him keeping the drums out of any water areas or sunlight. This was also way before cell phones so i could never get a hold of him.

Fast forward to almost two years ago and I find him on facebook. I sent him a message and kindly asked if he still had the drums. After bit of a wait he responded that he did but they were unusable and needed lots of work. I still pressured a little and one day out of the blue I get two very low lit pics that made my heart jump..... citrus mod Hollywood set with B/O badges. Damn! Basically we worked out a deal on facebook that involved some trading of things but for some reason I could never get a hold of this guy. I even got his number but he was always working so many crazy hours that he never had the time. Last Saturday as I went to visit a friend that lives close, I decided to see if he was home. As luck would have it he was and he let me take the drums! Being a drum collector takes a fair amount of patience but I feel like this set took a lifetime. here are the particulars.

The set is absolutely filthy. I was told it has not been used since 1992! This person was given the set by someone else we both know in the 80's. It was missing parts and has the wrong hoops on the bass drum. The wrap is lifting in places and the bass drum has a small gouge close to one of the edges. Some of the tom hoops have rust and all the hardware needs a dawn soak. The bass drum badge was also spinning and I managed to tighten it back up with a grommet tool I have. I also have a set of hoops with white inlay that I removed to repaint and replace with bumwrap inlay. The drums are all dated Feb 9 1971 with the exception of the bass drum that is Feb 10 1971. This is going to be a fun project that will take some effort and time but it's going to be awesome when it's done. They will be loved, gigged and find a permanent home in between my psych red rock duo set and my mod orange super classic. I've been pretty busy with gigs and life so this may take some time. I will post the finished results when I finish.

I'm sorry to steal any thunder from the other citrus thread(which is going to be awesome too!) but once I saw that I felt it was time to post mine and make this a citrus week. here are a few grimy pics. The second pic is all the missing parts I had to finish things up.
You have one of the most impressive collections I've ever seen. I applaud you!

SAZ

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Good for you, Kurt!
you'll finally have the Mod Ludwig Holy Trinity there now!
Citrus Mod, Mod Orange, and Psychedelic Red, wow Fantastic!

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good for you, Kurt!
you'll finally have the Mod Ludwig Holy Trinity there now!
Citrus Mod, Mod Orange, and Psychedelic Red, wow Fantastic!
When you get them all prettied up you must take a photo of all 3 set up together!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
You have one of the most impressive collections I've ever seen. I applaud you!

SAZ

Thank you. I have just been blessed to find things at the right time. It does take work though. Archt I will definitely set up all three sets and take a pic. It should look pretty cool.

Latest posts