Finally, Istanbul Agop released the... Traditional Jazz Series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Been curious and waiting for these since late summer...

Was expecting a 40th Anniversary but... here are the Traditional Jazz Series!

Well, looks like a Dark Ride, or the previous Jazz Ride... Will have to look into the differences (bell, shape, weight, profile...) closer though.

Anyway, cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, those sound great. They seem to have a greater depth of tone with stick on top that I'd associate with KCons. If Agop manage to combine this with their old-world feel, they might be onto something. They seem to have become more consistent recently; hopefully they didn't have to go through a stack to come up with this set.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Agree on the K Con! And, yeah, imagine these together: that's the old Istanbul "Jazz Ride" and the Agop version, a worn 30th and the new Traditional Jazz series. The bells, the bells...

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
not impressed; One... they seem to favor the "old K" style/sound of Old Turkish cymbal and doggone it they seem to fail at that..
Two. Are they a "new" old-style Turkish cymbal? No I don't hear that either...

So it seems to me they are (constantly) caught on the middle of the fence
(boy that hurts the balls)

Seems to have been an "Istanbul" issue since the (beginning)..early 80s thru the 90s..and continuing somewhat after the split into both Mehmet and Agop.

Their originality. I can't feel it. Either they are "not quite" old Ks and/or on the other hand they're "not quite" an original (new) Turkish sound.
Something wrong.
(no wonder three guys left in 1996 ; )
It's an identity issue..
I find them difficult and not pleasing : )

all that said Thanks for Posting F. Stahl! enjoyed it!
Enjoy you keeping me up with the News!

I find them a little directionless.
( I was an early supporter in the mid 90s thru the 2000's a local store was an early dealer and I used quite a few!)

After all this time (since what 1984!) they seem rudderless to the point If I was asked to pick a right now today great representation of Istanbul cymbals..
I'd have to suggest.... Mehmet's Tony Williams Jazz- Rock Edition 15". 16" and 22"..!!!
(15-20 years ago it would be Mel Lewis 19" 21" and 14 set") and a lot of uncertainty between now and then.

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Hm, identity issue, directionless, rudderless. What I miss is... variety. The really, really odd ones. Played an early Agop Signature with five rivets yesterday that was... beyond weird. Pointy attack, trashy, shouldn't work, didn't work, but magnificent in all it's weirdness. Had many 30th's that had the same "issue" - too silvery, too much stick, not lush at all. Like a knife cutting a beautiful landscape painting (beautiful, in it's on way, I know). Wish for more iconoclasm. "Cymbalclasm", shall we say?

Me, I love a lot of the pre-split stuff. And early Signature (but that thing about the "small notebook" containing "a lifetime of cymbal making secrets and ideas", hm...) and 30th's. Actually, if you/someone here ever stumble over this 22" 30th, let me know - I'll buy it from you, or your neighbour, or whomever:

Never tried the Jazz Rock (that name, also... someone with too many notebooks must have made that up, like "fusion cuisine"), only the "normal" Tony Williams tribute. Too cool for school, but, hey, I recently switched out all my heads to CS dots, so...

Anyway, looking forward buying/trying. Will probably sell, but at least I flipped the coin and it landed in that black dot.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried the Jazz Rock
not well distributed (It's a Mehmet btw) but still.
and after 40 years it ends with (pinnacle reached with) an old K New Stamp near clone.
you hear them at the end here:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
not well distributed (It's a Mehmet btw) but still.
and after 40 years it ends with (pinnacle reached with) an old K New Stamp near clone.
you hear them at the end here:

Yep, I know, been hearing them in videos, just never tried them in person. But I guess I would appreciate them for being slightly heavier.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the Turkish seller told me 26-2700g for the 22)

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering that I hated the way that guy was playing them, I really liked those cymbals. Lots of depth and character but with a bit of unexpected brightness too, especially the hats. I'll definitely have to check them out myself (or at least in videos with different players).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes) demo wasn't the best had to read/see/hear in-between the lines - sure everyone would agree; nothing ground-breaking there.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got three answers for that...
1) Yes.
2) I been Down and back the Istanbul bunny hole and
3) I know what old Turkish Ks sound like on and off stage

and there's a fourth
but it's very involved

clue: Mehmet was a) a jeweler or b) VW dealer

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
better; he's still a youtube drummer brought up on the internet (as) opposed to live in-person on-stage)
crash bang barely played a coherent thing.
does some towards the end Bill Stewart imitation but gets those crashes in on two rides.

the other guy was capable must have just had a bad lunch. lettuce down.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Ive seen Carter perform live in the flesh 1 more time than I've seen you Joe. All the old cats hating on CM.

You know I'm just ribbing you, I think its a testament to your character that you admit your love for and champion Bos after so many years on 'Holics with the Old K or go away mantra. You grew, good for ya bud.

better; he's still a youtube drummer brought up on the internet (as) opposed to live in-person on-stage)
crash bang barely played a coherent thing.
does some towards the end Bill Stewart imitation but gets those crashes in on two rides.

the other guy was capable must have just had a bad lunch. lettuce down.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't hear "Stage-time" (You should (you/we're old enough) to know what I mean Hsosdrum) in the fella's playing.
Call it "dance-floor" time if you want..

I'm sorry. That Day and Age may be over but I won't it let go down without some screaming : D
He barely finished any sentences and developed fewer

He didn't tell a story.
(how's about that?..}
He didn't tell me a story..

ps. contrarian (how about stickler/)
never get rid of the contrarian

Last edited:

Evdoggydog15

Reaction score
I don't hear "Stage-time" (You should (you/we're old enough) to know what I mean Hsosdrum) in the fella's playing.
Call it "dance-floor" time if you want..

I'm sorry. That Day and Age may be over but I won't it let go down without some screaming : D
He barely finished any sentences and developed fewer

He didn't tell a story.
(how's about that?..}
He didn't tell me a story..

ps. contrarian (how about stickler/)
never get rid of the contrarian
Dude you are literally the WORST. Carter would run circles around you and 99% of the drummers on this forum. Doesn't hear stage time, and Carter plays with Charlie Hunter ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.