Finally, Istanbul Agop released the... Traditional Jazz Series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man I'll check it out!

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Carter's a Broadway drummer (and more). So was Idris. So, could that also be a measure of... Having your stuff together. Full respect for "stage time", wherever/whenever that "stage" is/was.

Not sure if JDA's referring to Carter or Trewor. Like some attitude/opinion myself, though. No hate. Just a bit of an edge now and then. They both sound great, in my opinion, and the cymbals - I'm looking forward trying them!

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird of Agop to start making cymbals that to me, sound like those Meinl Foundry Somethings. I miss variety, like a few of the posters here.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
To me it just sounds like they get their act together in terms of design and consistent manufacture with a traditional lathed light ride, due time. There used to be a Traditional jazz ride, a friend of mine got one, that was unusable as a ride, no definition, it was all white noise/crashy wash. Something about the anatomy, bow/bridge/bell that just wasn't right. You shouldn't have to go through several cymbals to find one that's just uable for its intended purpose.
Idiosyncracy all well and good, but some early Sigs. almost didn't have any wash or colour, just midrange warble. I have an old one, and it's unique, but if I were into buying right now, I would prefer the newer Sig. mediums.

I haven't seen any info on these new ones. Are they just redesigns of models within the Traditional line, or a new line altogether?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
George Sluppick just posted a video with these and they sound sweet (along with the playing).

Reactions: owr

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, this demo is WAY more like it!

Man, I love that 20.
Hats are really nice.
There's some nice crossover potential with those two ... I don't really play Jazz, per se.
Not crazy about the 22.
I may look into the 20 and the hats. Pretty cool.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they sound great. I’ve got a bunch of the weirdo Agops already — way more than I could ever need, frankly. Love them. But these do remind me a lot of K Cons, as other have said, and that ain’t a bad thing at all.

I also dig the playing. In both videos.

JS_91

Reaction score
better; he's still a youtube drummer brought up on the internet (as) opposed to live in-person on-stage)
crash bang barely played a coherent thing.
does some towards the end Bill Stewart imitation but gets those crashes in on two rides.

the other guy was capable must have just had a bad lunch. lettuce down.
I shouldn't take the bait but your lazy criticism is just too much this morning. First off, Mclean has decades of live experience in a bunch of radically different contexts. First player sounded good as well. I'd argue if you think the first player was bad then your ears probably aren't really accustomed to that style of playing but you could argue that he took a more aggressive approach than what you wanted to hear from the cymbals. That's the thing, I could handle a difference in taste if your take was halfway informed and not so arrogant but you just word vomited all over the place and we all had to read that.

Gross.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, in the first video, the guy was either playing the drums too hard or the cymbals too soft. No balance. But maybe these are quieter cymbals than he's used to.

paulwells73

Reaction score
Btw. You will never get the Agop picks of the litter that he gets. Never
I have to take a bit of issue with this, respectfully.

I’m an Agop endorser as well, and Scott picks some really nice cymbals for me. But honestly, they aren’t better than the ones I‘ve played in stores like Maxwell’s, Memphis, Pro Drum, Foote’s, etc. I do have the opportunity to specify some things, like requesting a heavier 20" Mel, or something like that, when Maxwell’s may only have light Mels in stock at any particular time. And I know there are some duds that go out now and then. But Scott has sent me some that I didn’t like and ended up sending back.

I’m very much looking forward to getting a set of these new Jazz cymbals. I should have them soon and I’ll report back my thoughts here. But I won’t really know how well they work for me until I’ve used them on a bunch of gigs, which sadly won’t be until May at the earliest.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll come to JDAs defense a bit too if I may - the couple of you getting offended shouldn't take his posts so personally, he's just speaking his experience and preferences. My take on "knowing" the guy for many years here is he would prefer a cell phone recorded demo with a shaky hand of someone putting down 2 and 4 or playing time in a half filled greasy bar playing with a real band. I dig Carter's hermetically sealed studio with the latest batch of high end mics and pre-amps on loan, I've spent way too much time watching them lately... but they're not for everybody. And its a fair point that it may not give the average Joe (sorry pun) a realistic idea how they're going to sound like in a dive bar playing behind a drunk guitarist until 2 in the morning. And too many of us, that's a lot more "real" music than this other stuff. Carter is a fine player and doesn't always need his fan club swooping in to defend him on any critique. I applaud how he has adapted to the current situation, but if someone wants to point out that guy has probably done more product demos this year than gigs, then that's a fair point. And good for CM as well for hustling in this brave new world. It's good to have different opinions.

JS_91

Reaction score
I'll come to JDAs defense a bit too if I may - the couple of you getting offended shouldn't take his posts so personally, he's just speaking his experience and preferences. My take on "knowing" the guy for many years here is he would prefer a cell phone recorded demo with a shaky hand of someone putting down 2 and 4 or playing time in a half filled greasy bar playing with a real band. I dig Carter's hermetically sealed studio with the latest batch of high end mics and pre-amps on loan, I've spent way too much time watching them lately... but they're not for everybody. And its a fair point that it may not give the average Joe (sorry pun) a realistic idea how they're going to sound like in a dive bar playing behind a drunk guitarist until 2 in the morning. And too many of us, that's a lot more "real" music than this other stuff. Carter is a fine player and doesn't always need his fan club swooping in to defend him on any critique. I applaud how he has adapted to the current situation, but if someone wants to point out that guy has probably done more product demos this year than gigs, then that's a fair point. And good for CM as well for hustling in this brave new world. It's good to have different opinions.
I don't really care specifically about Carter, lol. He's good. Thousands of people are good. But I do care about people knowing what they're talking about when they're throwing shade around. I bolded the gist of your critique. What you said is fine. I actually agree with some of it. But you didn't attack his actual musicianship, or his time. Calling the guy a Youtube drummer and saying that he doesn't play live and that he's, "not stage time but dance floor time" is ridiculous and the "he doesn't tell me a story" on a cymbal demo is salty musician babble.

I came into this thread way too heavy handed but there's just a certain smarmy-ness sometimes in musicians that I get real impatient with. Shouldn't have come in calling anyone names. But I stand by the criticism being lazy and uninformed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.