Finally! Larnell Lewis speaks exclusively on his SNOM

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This got me thinking - for most things I've played, I could have used an additional snare drum sound more than a tom, so that idea of having both in one drum makes a lot of sense.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, LL is one of my all time favorite drummers. Great to see him talking about the fat snare/tom he brought into the spotlight.

I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this before, but when he was taking about how you need a snare head (not a medium like ambassador) on the bottom to get the sensitivity, I wondered why no one has ever made (to my knowledge) a head where the middle is thin in mm like a normal snare side, but the rest of the head is medium. Wouldn’t that allow for greater tuning versatility?

Snare side heads choke out very quickly when brought ip to the tension used on a batter, so I’m thinking the design I mentioned could solve that.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He plays so clean and grooving that you could take audio from the last beat he played in the video and drop it right into a recording with a band. It would have to work with that beat, but there are a million things you could do with it.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It fits in with the kit as a Tom better than I thought it would

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to Drumeo commending them for posting this. Also asked if they could send his TuneBot settings. Love his toms.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look what I happened to have sitting around and put to use after seeing this video: ‘60s 3 ply deep Slingerland with a tubby sounding 2 ply Attack head with a dot that I already had tuned low for the Don Henley/Russ Kunkel vibe. Works really well with my ‘60s 3 ply Ludwigs.

It never occurred to me that you could just tune the deep snare to fit in with your tom intervals and use it as another floor tom, I never had any interest in another snare on my left, but this seems like it could be really useful even for my more traditional drum set needs.
EAE5FEA8-E5AC-4BE2-ACF1-FBB95D7796BA.jpeg

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, found some prelimary TuneBot settings. Oh, and I think the Evans Hydraulic is key to this tone (regular Ambassador snare side on the bottom; whatever you got for snare side works, I’m sure).

Top lug 160
Bottom lug at 190

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was cool for a while.
83EAFF1F-8691-4640-ABDD-8DFA0C0F8454.jpeg

I still prefer two floors on my left side.

If if a lower tuned snare is used (I actually prefer using a muffle option on my main snare) it is used at my right side.
AC43E808-6AF7-46BF-A29C-662FDFB53F2D.jpeg

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, my new 14 Evans Hydraulic just cracked...
Put the Black X Remo back on. I think I like it more!

10FE5A12-5C6A-40D1-BD56-8109280F1492.jpeg
12264492-9AB3-43B3-AAF5-BCEDC192D1E2.jpeg

Last edited: