Finally out to gig

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Felt good to play some vintage drums out of the house this weekend. I even took the full five piece set with both toms up top. My Gretsch set that I got when I was 12 came with 12 and 13 toms and by high school, I went to primarily a one tom up top kind of set up and it has been that way ever since. It was kind of weird having that second tom in place but also fun to have the nice tonal spread from the 12 down to the 16. I must say I definitely got lucky on this set too. Not just the fact that it is citrus, but it really sounds amazing. The toms really seem to sing on this set and I'm using it stock the way it came from Ludwig in 1971. I may do some more gigs like this for fun but no doubt I will be back to my one tom up top sooner than later as that is what is most comfortable to me.

citrus17.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hey those Ludwig's are really cool looking... I like them.
Thanks! They are a lot of fun to play. This is the NSMD article I did on them.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice looking kit. What cymbals did you use?

These are all current model Giant beat Paiste cymbals. For this gig I used the 14" hats, 18" mult and 20" multi. I also have another 18" multi and a 21" big beat ride that use. For some reason when I play a set with two toms up top, I like having the ride where that 20" multi is. I thought the 21" big beat would have been a little too big and that 20" multi fit perfectly.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Just saw these listed on CL North Jersey. I know they are six ply shell, 80's drums but they don't look all that bad. $700 seems like an OK price to me. Looks like Bumwrap to me. I used Bumwrap citrus mod to do the hoop inlays my set above as the original ones were long gone.

00E0E_2N1rdvSjwvzz_0jh0pH_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_7eNUINtL9ogz_0jh0pH_1200x900.jpg

Last edited: