Finally played my new (to me) 13x8 and 24x15 Club Custom's. I'm in love once again!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big thanks to c.wulf! I've had my Yamaha Club Custom kit for a couple of years now (22/10/12/16 with matching 14x5.5 snare) and I love the kit. So much so that I went on an elusive search for a 13x9. Chris contacted me as he had a 24/13/16. I didn't need the 16 so he broke the kit up. The kit was an endorser kit and the previous owner (endorser) had the 13 cut to an 8" Since 13's are hard to find, I decided to go for it. I can see why the guy had the 13 cut down. Personally, I would've never cut down that tom but I get it. When it's played with the 24, I can understand bringing it down a bit.

Anyway, my Petty band rehearsed last night giving me my first opportunity to try the 24/13/16 config. Man, the swirl CC's are awesome drums. Too bad Yamaha can't figure out how to re-introduce the line. I hear it's due to the swirl finish. And yes, I did hear they were considering re-introducing them. I also used a new (to me) Billy Cobham Signature snare with wood hoops that I got on a trade. GREAT DRUM!!!!!! And my new (to me) 14" Paiste SE 602 hats I got here on DFO as well. All in all, an awesome evening of playing. I usually hate rehearsals, but I guess since I'm jonesing (aren't we all?) to play out again, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Again, big thanks to Chris. I drove down to Bakersfield from the Bay Area to pick them up. Not the first time BTW. I also bought my Craviotto kit from Chris. He's always such a great guy to deal with and I look forward to taking the drive down there again. I LOVE ROAD TRIPS!

182288610_10224604261281446_2477046451499900110_n.jpg

181810101_10224604261721457_2372580828392380756_n.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, they look edible!!

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
There's such a mystique surrounding the Yamaha Club Customs, and your post is only adding to it, lol.

Are Club Customs really as special as people say they are, or is it just the rarity of the kit that's causing the buzz?

Or a combination of the two?

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO Club Customs are the best sounding drums Sakae ever made for Yamaha . Very easy to dial in and they were very warm and full sounding .

Last edited:

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's such a mystique surrounding the Yamaha Club Customs, and your post is only adding to it, lol.

Are Club Customs really as special as people say they are, or is it just the rarity of the kit that's causing the buzz?

Or a combination of the two?
They are definitely the most unusual Yamaha drums I have in my collection of several Yamaha kits. They sound like nothing Yamaha has ever made before, or since, really. I'm not into vintage drums, but these have a vintage vibe without sounding too old school for my tastes.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Big thanks to c.wulf! I've had my Yamaha Club Custom kit for a couple of years now (22/10/12/16 with matching 14x5.5 snare) and I love the kit. So much so that I went on an elusive search for a 13x9. Chris contacted me as he had a 24/13/16. I didn't need the 16 so he broke the kit up. The kit was an endorser kit and the previous owner (endorser) had the 13 cut to an 8" Since 13's are hard to find, I decided to go for it. I can see why the guy had the 13 cut down. Personally, I would've never cut down that tom but I get it. When it's played with the 24, I can understand bringing it down a bit.

Anyway, my Petty band rehearsed last night giving me my first opportunity to try the 24/13/16 config. Man, the swirl CC's are awesome drums. Too bad Yamaha can't figure out how to re-introduce the line. I hear it's due to the swirl finish. And yes, I did hear they were considering re-introducing them. I also used a new (to me) Billy Cobham Signature snare with wood hoops that I got on a trade. GREAT DRUM!!!!!! And my new (to me) 14" Paiste SE 602 hats I got here on DFO as well. All in all, an awesome evening of playing. I usually hate rehearsals, but I guess since I'm jonesing (aren't we all?) to play out again, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Again, big thanks to Chris. I drove down to Bakersfield from the Bay Area to pick them up. Not the first time BTW. I also bought my Craviotto kit from Chris. He's always such a great guy to deal with and I look forward to taking the drive down there again. I LOVE ROAD TRIPS!

View attachment 498250

View attachment 498251
Yamaha is balking at re-releasing the Club Customs because of the swirl finish for some reason? Did the craftsman who invented the swirl suddenly die and take his secrets with him?

I wonder if Yamaha considers the swirl finish to be a vital component of the Club Customs, and without it they just refuse to re-release it?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha is balking at re-releasing the Club Customs because of the swirl finish for some reason? Did the craftsman who invented the swirl suddenly die and take his secrets with him?
I could be wrong, but I thought I’d heard it was an issue with no longer having access to Kapur wood for some reason — new regulations or something.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought I’d heard it was an issue with no longer having access to Kapur wood for some reason — new regulations or something.
I'm jus passing on what I heard...The Kapur statement is certainly plausible. Either way, it's too bad.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Working close with the HQ in Europe in the past, I was more/different then that (which I can’t discuss unfortunately).

Kapur is still being used in the PHX, and can still be ordered.

The finish could be too expensive to make in these days, but not impossible with the proper training in China, just like everything else.

I can say that they made it into the test production run some years ago.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Club Customs were also available in non-swirl finishes (Black Wood, Dark Wood), so to me, that can't be the reason they're reluctant to re-release them.

Reactions: JDA

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well they're the first Yamahas to ever do something for me visually and that makes me curious to hear them... The swirl finish and color sorta give them a certain pizzaz that offsets some of Yamaha's usual "this is the sensible option" aura. Anyway, congrats!!

FitDrummer

Reaction score

View attachment 498250

View attachment 498251
Nice kit!
Is that Bruce Brophy?

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t care for the swirl finish myself, but CC’s were hands down the best sounding, most playable backline kit I ever experienced. That one experience turned me into a potential Yamaha customer. I’ve played all their other lines except PHX, and they’ve been ok, but something about those drums is just right.

It could have been the tech who tuned them, the venue (outdoors), or my ears on that day, I never forgot it. I’ve been chasing them since (non swirl) but the supply dried up as soon as they were discontinued. Not really “needing them” but it would be good if they re-released them with some additional finishes.