Finally played some Bosphorous cymbals....

0merta

Reaction score
The other night we played and used most of the equipement there. The kit was a premier kit. Nice simple set. He had all bosphorous cymbals. I was extrememly impressed by them. I started with sabians and currently have zildjians. My ride I currently use is my uncles late 60's or early 70's zildjian. I still have yet to find a cymbal that I can replace it with to call mine. The ride he had was a bosphorous versa. It looked nearly identical to the zildjian hybrid ride. Unlathed around the bell with lathing further out. I was really impressed and would consider that as a replacement for my zildjian. I looked up the prices but they are expensive it seems. He also had new orleans crashes I believe. One of them(the smaller) was awesome. The larger worked ok as a rock ride but it didnt crash well. It was all or nothing, didnt really respond to lite hits. I like my zildjians but if I had the money.....

I figured I post up my .02 since I've played on a variety of cymbals.

jyee

Reaction score
thanks for sharing. i've been eye-ing a bos versa ride to replace my paiste alpha. i've got 13" bos antique hats and I was thinking it might be a good match.

Acrolite82

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are interested in Bosphorus, last month when I visited Forks in Nashville they were running a special liquidation sale on all their Bosphorous cymbals. But Bosphorous start off really high to begin with, so with the "special" deal a 20" ride was still around $270.
I got a really good deal on a Zildjian K Constantinople instead.

LudwigLarry

Reaction score
I like Bosphorus cymbals too. I've always wanted a K Istanbul Zildjian but can't justify $1000 -$3000 asking price the market gets for these. So this site has all the Bosphorus and Istanbul cymbals at a fraction of the cost. You can play a sample file of each cymbal. Maybe some of you folks here know of it but in case you don't check it out.
I like the 20" Masters series 1680-1690 grms. cymbals. Nice dry jazz cymbal with very defined stick articulation.

http://www.cymbalsonly.com/

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Stanton Moore 22" ride that Stanton and I picked out together. It's a beautiful cymbal, but not made for rock, in fact, that's the issue I had with Bosphorus when I was sponsored by them; the cymbals were totally unsuitable for cutting through rock music. I'm not saying they sounded bad; they just weren't heavy enough to cut through electric music unmic'd.

I used to use that Stanton ride on blues gigs and it was great for that purpose.

Blackdog

Reaction score
I've got a whole bunch of Bosphorus, mostly picked up at the factory ealrier this year.
Pick of the bunch, for rock... a 22" Turk Gold. So its a turk but highly polished.
The visual effect of the "gold" with the turk effect still present in the hammer marks is stunning.

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
That's excellent! Slowly, their sound will creep into your subconscious and you will want to switch out your cymbals. Currently I have two Bos 22" rides; one Traditional series and one Turk (unlathed) series. They're beautiful instruments, med-thin, and well-suited for jazz. Even the Turk has a fair amount of wobble.

Had a 20" Istanbul Mehmet Turk series years ago but sold it to buy the Bos traditional. Comparing apples to apples, it seems the Bosphorus "Turk" series has a slightly lower profile than Istanbul, allowing a lower-pitched wash that's more separated from the dry attack. They have a much different presence (more pleasing to my ear) than similar cymbals from other Turkish companies.

The Bos Gold series is suited for rock music and I think Ricky Rockett from Poison has a signature ride with them. At any rate, check 'em out if you're thinking about replacing or just adding to your arsenal. They are expensive, but they hold their value too. On cymbalsonly.com, I noticed that the Turkish offerings (especially in jazz ride territory) are significantly less expensive than similar offerings from the Big 3.

0merta

Reaction score
I havent really talked to anyone about these cymbals before. I had only read about them in my magazines so these are the first 'real' reviews I've heard. Glad to see that others like them cause sometimes your ears can play tricks on you when you see a new shiney cymbal. Sounds awesome till you pay for it and get it home. Then its like "wait a minute, they gave me the wrong cymbal, this doesnt sound anything like the one at the store."

I also found some great videos on youtube. This particular user is a drum shop who has high quality video/audio of a lot of products. I found most of the bosphorous cymbals but also I found clips of 'joyfull noise' snares, craviotto's, staves, etc.. good stuff. I always wanted to hear some of that high end stuff.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TWG6InLbf78

Last edited by a moderator:

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard the Jeff Hamilton Trio about a week or so ago...he was, of course, playing the Hammer series that he helped develop (doesn't hurt that he co-owns the company!)...man, they were smooth, smoky, etc., etc.

Latest posts