Finally pulled the trigger (Gretsch Brooklyn Micro Kit)

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new drums! Those look like a lot of fun, enjoy!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those look really nice!
Looking forward to a review.
Definitely. They will be here Friday. I did order heads, but was pleased to discover that the bass drum hears are what I would have ordered, and the batter heads on the snare and toms are Remo coated ambassadors. I am going to put the stock tom heads on the reso side and the new coated ambassadors on the batter side.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here I thought you shot your S.O. to get your drums! Excellent choice. Let's hope your S.O. doesn't rise from the hospital bed and get even with you for raiding the bank account. Congrats!!

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have your exact kit and exact color...got them the end of August. Gigged them a few times and bandmembers couldn't believe the sound that comes out of that little kit. You will LOVE that little kit. Kept all the Gretsch labeled Remo Ambassadors batter and reso and PS3 Kick batter. Changed the snare batter to an Evans EC2 Frosted- it just worked better than an Ambassador or Emperor.- Great choice- Enjoy Your Kit!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have your exact kit and exact color...got them the end of August. Gigged them a few times and bandmembers couldn't believe the sound that comes out of that little kit. You will LOVE that little kit. Kept all the Gretsch labeled Remo Ambassadors batter and reso and PS3 Kick batter. Changed the snare batter to an Evans EC2 Frosted- it just worked better than an Ambassador or Emperor.- Great choice- Enjoy Your Kit!
I am going to swap the Gretsch batters to the reso side and put Remo branded coated ambassadors on top. I just know they are going to sound every bit as good as you described.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm a big believer in the Gretsch Brooklyn drums. They have such a great, round, warm tone. Those micro kits look great, but I'm always worried about getting a puny sound out of the bass drum.
I'll let you (and the rest of the forum) know my thoughts in a week. I want at least two days of playing on them, plus a rehearsal with some folks with whom I jam and very occasionally play before I am comfortable giving my opinion.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, seriously, she is a dream come true. I wanted to quit playing altogether and concentrate on work and travel. She insisted that I keep playing and she definitely enables my acquisitions.
There should be a medal for her!