Finally took some good photos of my champagne Slingerlands

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted a few indoor photos in the Slingerland thread, but I got them outside today for some proper photos.

1971-72 Slingerland in beautiful champagne sparkle! 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x20 3-ply shells with chocolate milk interior. These suckers are 99% original! Every nut, bolt and screw is original, except for 4 replacement tension rods on the bass drum, some missing hoop inlay, replacement rubber feet on the floor tom legs and missing rubber feet on the spurs. There's even some original factory wood putty inside the 12" tom. The front bass drum head is original, and the bottom 12" and 16" tom heads are original, and the 13" has a Ludwig on the bottom.

They are SUPER clean. The chrome is mostly spotless except for some rough spots on the bottom floor tom rim, some minor spots on the floor tom brackets and spurs, and some light surface scratches on a few of the bass drum lugs. Seriously, even the floor tom legs look new. The down tube for the tom holder is marred (of course) but it still looks good.

The wrap is in perfect condition except for a few little marks on the floor tom, and one on the bass drum. No seam lifting or anything. The top of the bass drum has darkened a bit, but it still blends nicely with the toms.

Here is a link to a bunch of photos, and then a few teasers below.

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

Last edited:

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is one really nice kit, early 70's also................good times

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I see the bass is darker per your post. I wish you did a side by side photo in good lighting.

My Slingy 12/14/16/20 kit has the 20/16 a bit darker than the 12/14. My matching snare is also lighter like the 12/14.

My Gretsch RB kit 13/16/20 is all vivid and the lighter shade. I've also noticed that vintage Ludwigs tend to be darker....not sure why.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I see the bass is darker per your post. I wish you did a side by side photo in good lighting.

My Slingy 12/14/16/20 kit has the 20/16 a bit darker than the 12/14. My matching snare is also lighter like the 12/14.

My Gretsch RB kit 13/16/20 is all vivid and the lighter shade. I've also noticed that vintage Ludwigs tend to be darker....not sure why.
It's just darkened a bit from age. The bottom of the bass drum is super bright compared to the top. The 12" tom is a little brighter than the other two toms.

Here is the top with the tom bracket removed.

IMG_2919.jpeg