header.nohb.html

Finally!

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Well after enough trial, tribulation, and dollars spent. I have finally tried Evans heads on my toms. I am really upset I didn't do this sooner. I put coated G2's on the batter, still rocking Ebony Amb's on the reso, which are going next. Any insight on what I should use? I am looking for a warm, dark, drum sound. Coated G1's? Cheers!

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If sticking with Evans, yes, I would say G1 coated or ECs.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say the same. I'm using Coated Ambassadors on both sides of all my toms, except the 16x16, using Coated Emperor on top.

If you are using Coated on the bottom I would recommend a single ply. I would think a two ply would loose to much projection and the sound out front may be to mushy.

sherm

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
I'm definitely going with a single ply reso, but I dont want a ringy sound, not dead either, just that deep warm sound. The ambassadors dont sound bad, but Evans tune up s much easier. They fit better, and sound better. Any thoughts on coated reso 7's?

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used Evans clear G2s for a little over one month and absolutely loved them initially. At some point, after moderate use, the tone disappeared from 2/3 of my Tom's (DW Collectors); they sounded like paper plates, so I went back to Ambassadors.

Hope your experience is better than mine.

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
JazzyJeff said:
I used Evans clear G2s for a little over one month and absolutely loved them initially. At some point, after moderate use, the tone disappeared from 2/3 of my Tom's (DW Collectors); they sounded like paper plates, so I went back to Ambassadors.

Hope your experience is better than mine.
I absolutely hate clear drumheads as batter side heads. I hope they last a little longer but Remo and I have parted ways for bass amd tom heads.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
You should consider the Evans EC resonant heads. If you want a deep, dark, tone, those may get you there. They are not standard EC heads, they are specifically made for resonant use and tend to lower the fundamental pitch of the drum and cut out some of the overtone series.

G1 clear or coated are never bad choices.

Feel The Groove

Reaction score
tnsquint said:
You should consider the Evans EC resonant heads. If you want a deep, dark, tone, those may get you there. They are not standard EC heads, they are specifically made for resonant use and tend to lower the fundamental pitch of the drum and cut out some of the overtone series.

G1 clear or coated are never bad choices.
I'm using the Genera reso heads and like them but I've been wanting to try the EC reso heads and see how they sound

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
I wish someone on YouTube would do a variety of reso heads for demonstration. I always see the batter side. I mean I think I have a decent grasp on 2 ply, 1 ply, coated, clear, etc as far as batter heads go. Resonant heads have so much to do with sound as well, they should not be forgotten.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Evans coated G12 heads as batters on toms up to 12", and G14 heads as batters on larger toms. I use coated G1 heads as resos on all toms.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
PassiveTone78 said:
I wish someone on YouTube would do a variety of reso heads for demonstration. I always see the batter side. I mean I think I have a decent grasp on 2 ply, 1 ply, coated, clear, etc as far as batter heads go. Resonant heads have so much to do with sound as well, they should not be forgotten.
There is a Bob Gatzen video about that.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm currently playing g12s over reso7s on my Slingerland 3-ply kit. I'm diggin' the warmth.