Finding a Re-plater who can redo my Ludwig Black Beauty Bronze

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
Okay guys this is gonna sound crazy to you..

A week ago I purchased one of the very last 14x6.5 Bronze Ludwig Black Beauty snares that only 50 were made... Ludwig has discontinued the production of these snares so I can't get another one..

I had a licensed Ludwig Dealer add a Tone Control to my shell and they scratched the shell all to hell while it was in their care.. When I dropped it off the shell was brand new not a mark on it.. Now I'm out my 3year warranty on the shell cause Ludwig modified the drum.. don't make the drum either..

I need to help finding a plater who can strip the scratched finish off an redo it to look brand new.. I haven't even had the drum a week an it looks like I've owned it for a year.

Please tell me who I can go to to get shell replaced with a new Black Nickel finish

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

A week ago I purchased one of the very last 14x6.5 Bronze Ludwig Black Beauty snares that only 50 were made... Ludwig has discontinued the production of these snares so I can't get another one..

I had a licensed Ludwig Dealer add a Tone Control to my shell and they scratched the shell all to hell while it was in their care.. When I dropped it off the shell was brand new not a mark on it.. Now I'm out my 3year warranty on the shell cause Ludwig modified the drum.. don't make the drum either..

I need to help finding a plater who can strip the scratched finish off an redo it to look brand new.. I haven't even had the drum a week an it looks like I've owned it for a year.

Please tell me who I can go to to get shell replaced with a new Black Nickel finish
so hang on Ludwig themselves are responsible for the scratches? And they won’t fix it? Refund money? Nothing just move on and forget it? If that’s the case that says a lot about giving a crap about the customers.

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
so hang on Ludwig themselves are responsible for the scratches? And they won’t fix it? Refund money? Nothing just move on and forget it? If that’s the case that says a lot about giving a crap about the customers.
YEP that's what they said.. No refund, no warranty and They won't take the drum back so my only option is to have it replated on my own expenses or just live with it.. But I don't know who can even do Black Nickel plating.. Do you know any company's who replate stuff like this

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe check out Reliable Plating Co. in Chicago: Reliable Plating Corp.- Black Chrome Plating (Black Chromium Plating)
I don't know who does the plating for Ludwig these days (maybe they'll tell if you ask???), but I'm pretty sure these are the guys that used to do their plating for them back in day, recall those "Reliable Anti-Galvanic" stickers on the inside of Supra!

Redfern

Reaction score
Ludwig didn’t damage the drum. A Ludwig dealer did, so it’s on the dealer to make it right. Not Ludwig. Get it right.

In regards to warranty, if you chose to modify the drum, that’s on you.

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
What about this.. Couldn't I have like a auto body shop that has a buffer wheel buff the fine scratches out of the shell? They aren't down the bare metal They are super ficial scratches.

Redfern

Reaction score
What about this.. Couldn't I have like a auto body shop that has a buffer wheel buff the fine scratches out of the shell? They aren't down the bare metal They are super ficial scratches.
Super slow speed buffing...the plating is so very thin, gotta make sure none is taken off, plus it should be the protective clear that needs a touch up anyhow, if it’s not down to the base metal.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
YEP that's what they said.. No refund, no warranty and They won't take the drum back so my only option is to have it replated on my own expenses or just live with it.. But I don't know who can even do Black Nickel plating.. Do you know any company's who replate stuff like this
Didn’t realize a dealer did it I was thinking Ludwig rep for some reason. Ya that’s bogus and he prolly didn’t punch it before he drilled it out. I would of snapped.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The holes in those shells are punched into it by the company that spins the shells prior to plating, not drilled at the factory. Still it sounds like the dealer didn't know what they were doing and should take responsibility.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Redfin is right, that plating is only a few microns deep. Also another note of caution, back in the day (70's-80's) it appears though Ludwig did spray these BB shells with a protective clear coat of some sort, but I'm not sure that is the practice today. I don't see that step in any of the video tours I've seen on line, although no video of it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. But it would be something you don't want to just buff off the drum if you hand it off to somebody at an auto bodyshop.

I would consider trying to do this by hand with a light polish, meaning low to no abrasives at first before trying any polishing compound that does.
Doing it by hand will be more controlled and risk fewer of the panels. You can also do this at home with a machine, that is, use a variable-speed drill with a buffing pad.

Here's a vid of a Ludwig factory tour, cued up to where Dennis is hammering a shell, then he takes it to a buffing wheel to clean up a portion of the shell to minimize machining and bring up the shine. Then, right after that you can see the automated mechanical polishing process as well, to give you an idea what the factory does with the shells...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Redfin is right, that plating is only a few microns deep. Also another note of caution, back in the day (70's-80's) it appears though Ludwig did spray these BB shells with a protective clear coat of some sort, but I'm not sure that is the practice today. I don't see that step in any of the video tours I've seen on line, although no video of it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. But it would be something you don't want to just buff off the drum if you hand it off to somebody at an auto bodyshop.

I would consider trying to do this by hand with a light polish, meaning low to no abrasives at first before trying any polishing compound that does.
Doing it by hand will be more controlled and risk fewer of the panels. You can also do this at home with a machine, that is, use a variable-speed drill with a buffing pad.

Here's a vid of a Ludwig factory tour, cued up to where Dennis is hammering a shell, then he takes it to a buffing wheel to clean up a portion of the shell to minimize machining and bring up the shine. Then, right after that you can see the automated mechanical polishing process as well, to give you an idea what the factory does with the shells...

I don't think they do any other metalwork or plating in house at Ludwig.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's see some pictures; bet probably/ maybe...touch it up

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think they do any other metalwork or plating in house at Ludwig.
Agreed.
Also, I did a tour of the Ludwig factory in Chicago before they relocated to N.C., and saw no evidence of any plating equipment.
I think the Reliable Plating Co did a lot of their work, though they may have had different vendors throughout the years.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Agreed.
Also, I did a tour of the Ludwig factory in Chicago before they relocated to N.C., and saw no evidence of any plating equipment.
I think the Reliable Plating Co did a lot of their work, though they may have had different vendors throughout the years.
I toured the Chicago plant too although my memories of the tour are a bit vague (it was 1976 and I was 15 on a school band field trip so more hijinks ensued than attention was paid). Ludwig may have done the plating on their hoops (which they did make there) and hardware but I bet the metal shells and die cast parts came in pre-plated. Now that Ludwig also outsources their hoops and hardware I'm sure they wouldn't do any plating in house. Especially since metal plating has become very strictly regulated by the EPA & such.

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
So the question is I want to strip the clear coat lacquer off my black beauty! What brand an product should I use that will NOT harm the black plating BUT eliminate the scratched up lacquer clear coating

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
So the question is I want to strip the clear coat lacquer off my black beauty! What brand an product should I use that will NOT harm the black plating BUT eliminate the scratched up lacquer clear coating
Lacquer thinner ought to work to remove a true lacquer clear coat...assuming that is what they used as the clear coat.

Are you even sure there is a clear coat? Chrome plated drums do not have a clear coat because the chrome layer essentially is the clear coat. The silver reflective surface you see is nickel plating and the thin chrome layer covers that and prevents it from tarnishing (and tints it a bit blueish). On natural brass and bronze drums you are seeing the actual bare metal so they do need a clear coating to prevent tarnishing. I'm unsure in the case of Black Nickel plating of what they need to do but there might still be a layer of chrome over a darker nickel plate in which case a clear coat would not be required.

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
Lacquer thinner ought to work to remove a true lacquer clear coat...assuming that is what they used as the clear coat.

Are you even sure there is a clear coat? Chrome plated drums do not have a clear coat because the chrome layer essentially is the clear coat. The silver reflective surface you see is nickel plating and the thin chrome layer covers that and prevents it from tarnishing (and tints it a bit blueish). On natural brass and bronze drums you are seeing the actual bare metal so they do need a clear coating to prevent tarnishing. I'm unsure in the case of Black Nickel plating of what they need to do but there might still be a layer of chrome over a darker nickel plate in which case a clear coat would not be required.
Not sure if this is a lacquer clear coat or bare metal plating its a 1mm bronze black beauty not brass
Phil

20210313_092856.jpg

20210313_092958.jpg

20210313_093022.jpg

20210313_093102.jpg

20210313_093143.jpg