Finding a Re-plater who can redo my Ludwig Black Beauty Bronze

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very interesting that a portion of the color got stripped. I like that bronze mirror look too.
Don't know why John wouldn't be able to engrave that drum; he would have had to go through all that material anyway to actually get to the brass shell???

Don't know if you've found a plater to take on the project, but here's a few resources:
Link for Reliable (I think these were the original platers for Ludwig - recall the "Reliable" stickers on the inside of the Supra's!): Reliable Plating Corp.- Black Chrome Plating (Black Chromium Plating)
Arlington Plating: https://arlingtonplating.com/capabilities/black-chrome-plating/
I don't know how up to date the resource is (it got a regional map) but they have some good basic info on the site if you poke around: Directory of Plating, Powder Coating & Metal Finishing Jobshops

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, man. A dab of sharpie and some clear nail polish would have been great, says the Monday morning QB.

microswitch

Reaction score
Your best bet is to find a plater that deal with Faucets.. They have all the different color, pattern and type of finishes.
Normal plater only deal with basic chrome and nickel finishes but black chrome or black nickel are a specialty not everyone has a tank specifically designed for it. And it xpensive..

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I mean it’s obviously a players drum now, it was when you first got the muffler installed, so I wouldn’t worry too much about getting the black color perfectly on there. It’s a really pretty drum and I bet it sounds great, I wouldn’t invest a whole lot more money in it.

If you already bought the drum, paid to have the muffler installed, stripped the plating and then paid to have it replated... shoot for the amount of money you’ve put into it you’re starting to get near the price of a original black beauty

But I’m not one to talk, I’m sure we’ve all dumped a lot of money into this expensive hobby. And at the end of the day that snare is gonna serve you right for years, so it’s good to see you’re treating it nice