Finish Matching

highmileage

Reaction score
Any advice on how I'd refinish to match the purple? This is a '99 or so Tama Starclassic Performer, and I picked up the 10" orange tom to give it a shot. Not a lot of Violet finish out there to choose from... I thought I'd try to sand the old finish off first and it went through pretty quickly with 120 by hand (with a block, of course). Once I broke through the clear finish, the orange went away quickly so it's not deep into the wood. And the wood, what is it? They're birch shells, but obviously this is not like the stuff on the inside which matches cabinet-grade birch plywood, etc. I picked up a powdered dye kit for wood (mix with water) and thought I'd experiment on some scraps of birch plywood, but now I'm not so sure...

IMG-0723.jpg

IMG-0729.jpg

tubelugs

Reaction score
I would pay an antique wood furniture finisher for advice, even if I end up doing the work myself. Those guys can do anything.

highmileage

Reaction score
Good advice, I'll check around for one here. I got all the finish off down to what I thought was bare wood, then gave it one more sanding with 120 - but the dust wasn't wood, I think it's another layer of finish. Furniture refinishers have probably run into all kinds of stuff.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Try Duplicolor Metalcast purple spray paint, it's a auto candy paint but goes on transparent and lets the wood grain show. I've done several drums this way and I'm not very good at diy and have been good results. It will get darker with each coat and is it's true color instead of muted like a dye which you don't know the exact color until you put a top coat on. I've had good results with the metal cast and then top coating with Deft Gloss lacquer.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue just did a very nice blue tom to match a kit. I've only done full kits that matched each other so much easier.

I'd look at some of those guitar websites that sell colors (StewMac) and look at the bordeaux color. I'd get that stain and take it to a wood worker or
furniture guy. The gloss finish is the easy part. I would expect at least a 95%+ matching.....and you're set! I'd do it myself - it looks easy and fun!

Drum1.jpg

highmileage

Reaction score
I'd look at some of those guitar websites that sell colors (StewMac) and look at the bordeaux color. I'd get that stain and take it to a wood worker or
furniture guy. View attachment 472373
That’s a very good match, I know of StewMac and they have lots of cool stuff, but didn’t think about them here. I’m going to try my dye sampler kit on some scraps of birch ply since I already have it. But I’m thinking this might be the winner. Thanks!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Also look at transtint powders, multiple colors, mix in alcohol for custom color. What's good about the candy spray paint is sometimes dye or stain won't go on even with a drum that has been stripped and the spray paint does. Both bass drums I've done were dyed then spray painted to get the desired result

highmileage

Reaction score
Well, after six tries with dye, I’m getting closer. This is with two coats of shellac. Looks closer in person, but different here versus old fluorescent in the basement and different yet again with regular warm white bulbs.

So maybe it’s like getting a gray car partially repainted, under some light conditions it’s hard to see a difference but other times it’s obvious...? Interesting stuff to work with, that’s for sure!

Attachments

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Well, after six tries with dye, I’m getting closer. This is with two coats of shellac. Looks closer in person, but different here versus old fluorescent in the basement and different yet again with regular warm white bulbs.

So maybe it’s like getting a gray car partially repainted, under some light conditions it’s hard to see a difference but other times it’s obvious...? Interesting stuff to work with, that’s for sure!
I am here. Its really ,really hard to get an exact match. The people who do drums at the factory's are ,in my opinion, artist. The part that we lack when doing resto's is that are shells are used. We are trying to chase there finish with materials that are probably not what they used. Plus we have the age to deal with, finish changes with time and conditions. Exact is probably always gonna be imposable but wicked close is always there.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Try some stronger purple. Try some clear coat on it to see because that may give it a deeper look. Also, think about a few drops of stain in the clear coat too.....
That is awesome advise, man I forgot all about tinting the clear, awesome ,just awesome. This place has so much wisdom at our finger tips. So many people willing to help. Thanks to everyone who is willing to help others.