Finish question

va87

Reaction score
I am buying a kit that has a damaged bass drum. I am getting the kit for a song. I want to get a new BD shell and use the hardware off the damaged one. The kit is a really beautiful dark green lacquer, and I'd like to match the new BD to the rest of the kit. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help......Joe

DrumSmith

Reaction score
It depends on the wood type and grain, and how careful you are. You didn't specify what kind of new shell. Are you just buying a Keller maple shell for instance? If so, read on.

The bass drum is actually going to be easier than say a tom that sits next to another tom. Also, because the BD is at a completely different angle, light hits it differently, and thus it looks different. Case in point, look at your profile pic.

I would use dye. http://www.drummaker.net/1-800-NEW-DRUM/www.drummaker.com/FMPro?-db=dm_products.fp5&-format=hitdetail.htm&-lay=cgi&-sortfield=name&-sortorder=descend&IDname=Wood%20Dyes&-max=16&-recid=37182&-token.0=3758770830&-find=

The dye is usually the easy part, but in your case you're looking to match, so put on thin coats (you'd never try a thick coat with dye anyway, it would come out splotchy), waiting one day between coats, until you are almost there. The lacquer will darken it somewhat, so there's a balancing act there.

Then apply many coats of spray-can clear lacquer (at any hardware store). If you've never done this, lookup on Google. Sand between coats, using progressively finer sandpaper. Up to 2000 grit. As you apply coats, compare to your other drums and keep going until the desired gloss is acheived. Ten coats is not unheard of, and that's a lot of sanding, but it's fun.

Good luck!

va87

Reaction score
It will be a keller maple shell. The kit is now a very nice dark green lacquer.......not green like Simon Phillips' TAMAs, but green like almost dark teal.

I was also thinking of making the whole kit a new color.......I think that may be a bit much for me though. Not sure how I'd get the lacquer and color off of the existing drums. Sand.....stripper? How do you do that?

Thanks for your kind advice. When I decide which way to go and get it done, I'll post pictures and describe the exercise for future reference.
Joe

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
I wouldn't remove the finish if you're wrapping. Just sand it a little so you have something for the glue to bite into. And please, please, PLEASE don't do the Jammin' Sam's tape method- it BLOWS!! I have experience with it. It is HORRIBLE!!!!

diamantsamuel

Reaction score
Ringocollins said:
I wouldn't remove the finish if you're wrapping. Just sand it a little so you have something for the glue to bite into. And please, please, PLEASE don't do the Jammin' Sam's tape method- it BLOWS!! I have experience with it. It is HORRIBLE!!!!
When I first saw that stuff I did not get a good vibe at all! What exactly happened?

va87

Reaction score
Ringocollins said:
Oh no worries there mate! I have wrapped drums before, and I use glue on the ENTIRE surface of the dum/wrap. It will never come off! Jammin' Sam's tape method BLOWS HARD!!
I have thought of wrapping the kit.....LOVE the torquoise and salmon sparkles......but if I can somehow preserve the lacquer finish I really want to do that. My hand may be forced, but......we'll see.