Finished Ludwig Restoration

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
FINALLY got this recorded and posted.
I had a problem when I put the new head on the Bass Drum that hadn't presented itself when playing on the old heads. The 13" suddenly developed a SEVERE RATTLE. The added lows from the new head brought it out - big time. Turns out it was the internal muffler. I had to remove it and retune the drum before recording.

All the drums are wide open.
Evans UV2s on top
Evans G1 Clears on the bottom
Bass drum has Evans EQ4 Calftone on batter.
Remo smooth white P3 on Front (no port)
Bass Drum Batter side has a small pillow laying against the head, otherwise no muffling in the BD.

BTW - Ludwig Blackrow with G1 coated head on top and old Ludwig bottom head (still fair).

Recorded with Zoom Q3 recorder. No effects.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Forgot to mention -

This kit still feels GIANT to me. I've always played with a 20" BD and 10-12 combination on top. This 13" feels HUGE! Even more so sitting on top a 24" BD.

Ironically, after listening to the video, the 13 and 16 sound great and not so much the 14. However sitting on top of them the 13 and 16 don't resonate near as much as the 14. From the players POV I like the 14. From the front, I like the 13 and 16. Also I'm surprised how little ring the Bass drum has from out front as well. From the drivers seat it has just a little more than I like. It sounds good from the front.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for posting that. Your set sounds really great. Very nice graduation between the 3 tom toms. Congrats on the resto!