Finished my Ash with shells from Nordic

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW WOW WOW,..

Finished last night.. love them.. need a different batter head for BD,.. too much attach right now..

Attachments

• ash2.jpg
    ash2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 214
  • ash3.jpg
    ash3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 219
  • ash4.jpg
    ash4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 213
  • ash5.jpg
    ash5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 201

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful!

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are ash shells to begin
Wow! Great finish....how did you do it?

Well,.. sanded the shells to 220, sealed the grain SEALER, sanded, SEALER, sanded. Added black dye to my GRAIN FILLER. rubbed that all over with a paper towel and let dry. I did it again..

Then I sanded it all back down until the only black was deep in the figuring,.. sanded to about 600,.. then sprayed them w clear coat.. let it dry for a couple weeks.. normal polish and buff,..etc..

I cut the edged with an inner 45 all the way to the outside of the shells,.. then just a tiny outer back cut and smoothed over by hand.. This is the edge I saw on a set of new yamaha maple custom absolute shells. It works,.. they sound amazing.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are ash shells to begin

Well,.. sanded the shells to 220, sealed the grain SEALER, sanded, SEALER, sanded. Added black dye to my GRAIN FILLER. rubbed that all over with a paper towel and let dry. I did it again..

Then I sanded it all back down until the only black was deep in the figuring,.. sanded to about 600,.. then sprayed them w clear coat.. let it dry for a couple weeks.. normal polish and buff,..etc..

I cut the edged with an inner 45 all the way to the outside of the shells,.. then just a tiny outer back cut and smoothed over by hand.. This is the edge I saw on a set of new yamaha maple custom absolute shells. It works,.. they sound amazing.

Spectacular job! They look great. This is similar to what I want to do later this year. A nice, natural finish kit.

Really great.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful drums!!! Well done!!! Your patience and attention to detail has paid off. What kind of bearing edges did you do?

He mentioned this a couple posts up. . . .

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many plies did you do on your shells? I got some of there 6-ply Heritage shells and they are 3/16". I'm curious if their other shells are that same thickness.

KeenAmateur

Reaction score
WOW WOW WOW,..

Finished last night.. love them.. need a different batter head for BD,.. too much attach right now..

Fantastic, reminiscent of a Canopus ash snare finish I was admiring recently (dye was blue though perhaps). But I think these look better, a more natural asthetic to them. Some of the grain patterns are really spectacular there, especially on the bigger drums where that pattern has room to 'flow' further. Lovely work. Congratulations, earned yourself a big pat on the back there and a sigh of relief I'm sure ;)

Last edited: