Finishing inside single-headed drums

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just built my first single-headed drum and realized I never considered the interior. Should I be coating the inside of the shell with anything? It’s already wrapped so I was thinking of something wipe on or brush on.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
What type of wood? Brand? Any finish inside it now? I like a few light coats of hand applied poly inside to protect it, or depnding on brand, white or gray/silver paint to be period correct. On edges, I've used poly lightly or beeswax (or a candle!).

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
What type of wood? Brand? Any finish inside it now? I like a few light coats of hand applied poly inside to protect it, or depnding on brand, white or gray/silver paint to be period correct. On edges, I've used poly lightly or beeswax (or a candle!).
Sorry, I should've clarified in my original post. It's a brand new maple shell with nothing on the inside as of now. I purchased it from Precision so I don't know what the brand is.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used Minwax Polycrilic, in a satin sheen, to seal and protect many of my custom drums with Keller shells. The interiors look great!

-Mark
I like that stuff. I'm using the water-borne polycrilic right now on a table top I'm finishing and I have to say, it can be tricky to use. Bubbles and streaks some times.
I've tried, diluting with a bit of water, 5 different brushes, including foam and manipulating drying time.

Another thread here has me thinking about switching to wipe-on for drums.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score

boonky

Reaction score
Formby's tung oil is extinct, so Watco Danish Oil.

Latest posts