Fired my bass player tonight

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ours quit and now we are so much tighter. We will probably try another when we find someone interested- hopefully someone with some dancing rhythm. Trouble is our lead guy has trouble with song form sigh

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We have had trouble keeping bass players. Finally we found someone that we can depend on.

EricWN

Reaction score
My current cover band fortunately has a great bass guy. It can be so frustrating if the chemistry isn’t working.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
We struggled to find a bass player in the last group I played in. We opted to fly in tracked bass parts and no one in the audience knew or cared(unless they were a musician/bass player)

I would say not having a bass player was our undoing as a group. We couldn’t take requests that well because if we did, after a night of bass through the PA it would be missing in overall sound with the non set list songs

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking back, the bassists I’ve played with over the years have all been really solid men and women, in both playing and personality.

I thought this was the norm, but perhaps I’ve just been lucky.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's why I love playing with pianists - don't need a bassist if the pianist has a strong left hand. I've been fortunate in that respect.
I’m working on a startup project with a friend who goes back and forth between bass and keyboards, often in the same song .

I like it.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m working on a startup project with a friend who goes back and forth between bass and keyboards, often in the same song .

I like it.
Both of the pianists with whom I play also play bass. One plays double bass and the other standard electric bass, but their left hands on keys are amazing.

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Our singer and I struggled to find a bass player in our first band together and after that as we started doing more covers. Finally got our bass player in 2008 and we've been together since. He's huge into Geddy, so a couple times he's brought out the foot keyboard. I wouldn't say he's a keyboardist but he does know how to play a few things. Same goes with all of us I think. We know how to play keys but wouldn't really but considered keyboardists.

Anyway, it seems a good bassist is the hardest part to find. It seems often if they're good on bass they'd rather play lead guitar.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll give some background. My apologies for the long winded saga, but I bet this has not happened to many of you. I hope none of you guys find yourself in this type of stressful predicament.

We picked this guy up about 3 months ago after auditioning a few bass players. We rehearsed last Sunday in preparation for the Friday gig. This was the first gig for this version of the band which has been together for 5 years; all guys in our 50s and 60s. The bass player had been chirping at the 2 guitar players for weeks about how they played things wrong. This past Sunday he was particularly rude and condescending to the acoustic guitar player. I didn't think much of it. We agreed that the bass player would bring his PA for the gig. I booked this gig in October and was responsible for everything.

I get a call Wednesday night from the acoustic player who is a founding member of the band. He said I don't want you to be surprised, but we are planning on firing the bass player at the end of the gig no matter how well the night goes. He had gone too far in his eyes and was not worth putting up with. I had no part in the decision cause I am not the band leader. He was just calling to let me know, it was a done deal.

Friday morning and I get a call from my contact at the venue who is a friend of mine . I had set the gig up with the venue weeks ago, but I had not heard from my buddy cause his Dad was in hospice. Turns out he past away last week; 6 weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is a steel guitar player. I play in another band with him. He asked me if he could sit in Friday night. Without hesitation I said absolutely. I called the band leader and he was fine with it. If I say the guy can play, that was good enough for him. I didn't go into details about my buddies personal life and left it at that.

Friday at noon I send out an email to the band letting them know that my buddy would be sitting in for a few tunes; like Willin, Friend of the Devil, Wagon Wheel, Dead Flowers; things that we also happen to play in the steel band. The band leader responded to my email with his approval.

Well the bass player starts messaging me immediately about how this is not OK with him. He doesn't like people he doesn't know sitting in. I can understand that. I told him this is my gig that I got through my buddy the steel player. I played with him for the better part of this year. Guys that play pedal steel tend not to be lackluster musicians because the instrument is just so difficult to really master. Jerry Garcia played pedal steel on Teach Your Children then gave up the instrument claiming it requires more commitment then he was willing to give it. I assured the bass player that I would never put him or anybody else in an embarrassing position.

At 2pm Friday afternoon, the bass player informs me via text that he is not willing to bring his PA. "I don't drag my gear and do extra work for strangers." Told me to bring his bass amp from the rehearsal space so he could just walk in and plug in. I asked him where do you think I em going to get a PA in the next 4 hours before the show starts. He told me that was my problem......

From here on I take full responsibility for what happened next, but now the bass player has managed to push me too far. I said look you prick, the band leader called me Wednesday and wanted you fired because of stuff like this. Now maybe I should not have told him that, but at this point how much worse can it get? I said look are you playing tonight or not? I will start calling for a sub as I em calling around to get a PA. He said I will see you there at 5, the gig starts at 6.

I called the steel player and asked to use his PA. He said fine but you gotta come in at 4 to help set it up. Tragedy narrowly averted right..... wrong. And it gets worse.... The bass player and his wife show up at 5. I hold the door for him and said glad to see you. Without a single word he walks in, picks up his bass amp and drives away. I could not believe it. Its less then an hour to the show and the bass player just quit and gave zero notice.

I went back in continuing to setup with the steel player and ask if he would play bass tonight. I explain what just happened. He said all I got is a six string bass, will that work? I knew steel could play bass cause I had jammed with him on bass many times.

So the rest of the band shows up and I explain what has happened with the bass player. The band leader gave me a hug and said good riddance; "he was a world class self centered petty jerk. You saved me the trouble of firing him. I feel better already. Its gonna be a great show" ... and it was. The band was happy at the end of the night after 3 sets. The club manager was happy and invited us back to play again blissfully unaware of the days events.

I just can't get over the lengths this guy went to to try and sabotage our gig. All that over not wanting the steel player to sit in; who got us the gig, who then provided the PA, who then filled in and played bass; who just lost his Dad and as it turns out.... Today Saturday is his birthday.

He really saved the day and I could not thank him enough.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fired My Bass Player Tonight
Glad you blew that 'Delta Bravo' out, I never did like him! ;-P

It sounds like he was well aware that he was going to get blown out, which is why he didn't want to bring that PA and wanted you to bring his practice amp.
Glad it worked out for you in the end... life is just too darned short if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Fired My Bass Player Tonight--> sounds like a pretty good name for a band too.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give some background. My apologies for the long winded saga, but I bet this has not happened to many of you. I hope none of you guys find yourself in this type of stressful predicament.

We picked this guy up about 3 months ago after auditioning a few bass players. We rehearsed last Sunday in preparation for the Friday gig. This was the first gig for this version of the band which has been together for 5 years; all guys in our 50s and 60s. The bass player had been chirping at the 2 guitar players for weeks about how they played things wrong. This past Sunday he was particularly rude and condescending to the acoustic guitar player. I didn't think much of it. We agreed that the bass player would bring his PA for the gig. I booked this gig in October and was responsible for everything.

I get a call Wednesday night from the acoustic player who is a founding member of the band. He said I don't want you to be surprised, but we are planning on firing the bass player at the end of the gig no matter how well the night goes. He had gone too far in his eyes and was not worth putting up with. I had no part in the decision cause I am not the band leader. He was just calling to let me know, it was a done deal.

Friday morning and I get a call from my contact at the venue who is a friend of mine . I had set the gig up with the venue weeks ago, but I had not heard from my buddy cause his Dad was in hospice. Turns out he past away last week; 6 weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is a steel guitar player. I play in another band with him. He asked me if he could sit in Friday night. Without hesitation I said absolutely. I called the band leader and he was fine with it. If I say the guy can play, that was good enough for him. I didn't go into details about my buddies personal life and left it at that.

Friday at noon I send out an email to the band letting them know that my buddy would be sitting in for a few tunes; like Willin, Friend of the Devil, Wagon Wheel, Dead Flowers; things that we also happen to play in the steel band. The band leader responded to my email with his approval.

Well the bass player starts messaging me immediately about how this is not OK with him. He doesn't like people he doesn't know sitting in. I can understand that. I told him this is my gig that I got through my buddy the steel player. I played with him for the better part of this year. Guys that play pedal steel tend not to be lackluster musicians because the instrument is just so difficult to really master. Jerry Garcia played pedal steel on Teach Your Children then gave up the instrument claiming it requires more commitment then he was willing to give it. I assured the bass player that I would never put him or anybody else in an embarrassing position.

At 2pm Friday afternoon, the bass player informs me via text that he is not willing to bring his PA. "I don't drag my gear and do extra work for strangers." Told me to bring his bass amp from the rehearsal space so he could just walk in and plug in. I asked him where do you think I em going to get a PA in the next 4 hours before the show starts. He told me that was my problem......

From here on I take full responsibility for what happened next, but now the bass player has managed to push me too far. I said look you prick, the band leader called me Wednesday and wanted you fired because of stuff like this. Now maybe I should not have told him that, but at this point how much worse can it get? I said look are you playing tonight or not? I will start calling for a sub as I em calling around to get a PA. He said I will see you there at 5, the gig starts at 6.

I called the steel player and asked to use his PA. He said fine but you gotta come in at 4 to help set it up. Tragedy narrowly averted right..... wrong. And it gets worse.... The bass player and his wife show up at 5. I hold the door for him and said glad to see you. Without a single word he walks in, picks up his bass amp and drives away. I could not believe it. Its less then an hour to the show and the bass player just quit and gave zero notice.

I went back in continuing to setup with the steel player and ask if he would play bass tonight. I explain what just happened. He said all I got is a six string bass, will that work? I knew steel could play bass cause I had jammed with him on bass many times.

So the rest of the band shows up and I explain what has happened with the bass player. The band leader gave me a hug and said good riddance; "he was a world class self centered petty jerk. You saved me the trouble of firing him. I feel better already. Its gonna be a great show" ... and it was. The band was happy at the end of the night after 3 sets. The club manager was happy and invited us back to play again blissfully unaware of the days events.

I just can't get over the lengths this guy went to to try and sabotage our gig. All that over not wanting the steel player to sit in; who got us the gig, who then provided the PA, who then filled in and played bass; who just lost his Dad and as it turns out.... Today Saturday is his birthday.

He really saved the day and I could not thank him enough.
What a jerk. He'll run out of friends fast pulling that garbage.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I was in a quartet that played mostly weddings. We had a bassist, who always rushed the beat. I finally got tired of it, and maintained the tempo we started with. The leader turned around and yelled, "Quit dragging!" Ever happen to you?

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
PA drama is the worst. The person with the PA has a huge amount of power. I say, if you own the PA, it's your band. So giving someone you don't particularly like that kind of control, even for one night, is a huge risk.

Last edited: