Fired my bass player tonight

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Reading Frank's post I just remembered this story. In the early 2000's we had a bass player who really liked the "extra curricular" substances. He and the lead guitarist at the time would basically feed off each other and push each other. I eventually quit the band because of them (and came back after the bass player was gone and the guitarist eventually quit too).

Anyway, while they had gone through a few other drummers they also did some out of town gigs in San Diego and Fullerton/LA, etc. I guess the day after a gig the bass player "found" some Bluetooth headsets and was selling them somewhere, maybe at the boardwalk or something. The rest of the band left him there because he didn't want to come back right away. Later, he stole some PA equipment, guitars, and other music gear from the lead singer. I'm sure it all went up his nose or smoked. Found out he died about ten years ago. Those bass players man...

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been lucky with bass players over the years. Only once did I decide to change bass players when he overplayed and would not turn his volume down when it was way loud at one piano trio gig. "Lead" bass was just not what was needed .....

tstinson

Reaction score
Frank,
I can't think of one single thing you did wrong during a very long and aggravating episode. So kudos for that.

The other download: those of us who have avoided such bullcrap over the years feel the pain. Our band has been working it, with limited turnover, since 2013 and other than some recent scrapping about vaxxing and venue restrictions, we've always gotten along. Thanks for reminding us, Frank, how lucky some of us are.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did the sub offer to join? Sorry if I missed it. That would make an even happier ending...

Dan

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Musicians are just people - but on the other hand - they're musicians (you know what I mean}. I think most of the time we know immediately at the gut level what the vibe is but don't want to take action right away hoping for the best. But then the worst happens.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it was (and still is keyboard players) but man, the bass player slot has been a revolving door. Finally found a great player that enjoys the band and puts the time in. FINALLY!!!!

46EDBF21-0FEC-42B4-BFF3-6966930B3DFE.jpeg

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I must be lucky. Every bassist I’ve played with has been a fine person--solid, dependable, steady, amiable. Varied skill sets, sure, but good folk.

I have never really been in a band situation with a solid jerk. Some big egos, yes, but no jerks. One member with LSD (Lead Singer Disorder) who had to be let go.
Certainly some folks I didn’t see musically eye-to-eye with, but that’s taste not personal.

Around here it seems finding a non-guitar hero guitarist is the rare thing. Plenty of guys who can play a good blues or rock solo but very few who will just sit back and play some tasteful groove that isn’t too busy. How does one convince an otherwise skilled and seasoned player that he’s just playing too much all the time? One can’t. At least I can’t, so the search continues.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me it was (and still is keyboard players) but man, the bass player slot has been a revolving door. Finally found a great player that enjoys the band and puts the time in. FINALLY!!!!

View attachment 529662
Hope it works.....ya realize he has 5 strings....;)
On another note has anyone checked out the bass forum thread where they fired the drummer(s).....lol
bt

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
I was in a rock band twenty years ago. The bass player kept working in solos for himself...in most songs.
I did myself a favor and left the group.

Stone Wilcoxon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bass player is either the drummer's best friend or his worst enemy. I've been lucky over the past few decades, in that I have a lot of best friends with bass rigs.