First brand new drumset in 40 years!!!!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I ordered the Yamaha Stage Custom in Raven Black (20, 10, 12, 14, snare) from DCP on Tuesday. It arrived today! Less than 48 hours from New Hampshire to a rural "suburb" of Cleveland, OH - free shipping too.

The FedEx driver left them where I wanted, with plastic bags underneath to keep off the snow. Now the bad news - box had a big hole in the end!! Driver never mentioned that. :( I opened it up and unpacked everything. Luckily there was no damage to the shells or hoops. :)

Another bummer was the fact that all the heads are Remo UT's. The Yamaha web site said they ship with Ambassadors, but maybe this was older stock? Anyway, my wife had given me the OK to buy a new $700 drumset, which once I added a stand for the toms and a cymbal boom and then tax ended up to be $899. When she could see my disappointment checking the heads out, she said, "well, go ahead and order new ones!" I love her so much. :)

Got an Emperor 10, 12, 14 pack and a 20" PS3 from Steve Weiss for $80. Not bad. (DCP heads wee more expensive)

So, it will be next week before I set them up and get pics. Then I get to take them to church and swap out the old PDP's!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 88

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, is there a trick to moving the rubber tips on the legs and spurs? They both have spikes on the end, and I probably don't need them.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
So, I ordered the Yamaha Stage Custom in Raven Black (20, 10, 12, 14, snare) from DCP on Tuesday. It arrived today! Less than 48 hours from New Hampshire to a rural "suburb" of Cleveland, OH - free shipping too.

The FedEx driver left them where I wanted, with plastic bags underneath to keep off the snow. Now the bad news - box had a big hole in the end!! Driver never mentioned that. :( I opened it up and unpacked everything. Luckily there was no damage to the shells or hoops. :)

Another bummer was the fact that all the heads are Remo UT's. The Yamaha web site said they ship with Ambassadors, but maybe this was older stock? Anyway, my wife had given me the OK to buy a new $700 drumset, which once I added a stand for the toms and a cymbal boom and then tax ended up to be $899. When she could see my disappointment checking the heads out, she said, "well, go ahead and order new ones!" I love her so much. :)

Got an Emperor 10, 12, 14 pack and a 20" PS3 from Steve Weiss for $80. Not bad. (DCP heads wee more expensive)

So, it will be next week before I set them up and get pics. Then I get to take them to church and swap out the old PDP's!
Congratulations buddy!!!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yay, congrats!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, is there a trick to moving the rubber tips on the legs and spurs? They both have spikes on the end, and I probably don't need them.
Not on the FT. I’d order some Gibraltar or Pearl ISO FT feet. And I’m not sure why you’d want to change the bass drum spurs since I depend on them being there ( the spikes that is). Maybe just make sure your kit is on a rug or carpet.

Big congrats on getting the kit. Yeah, the UT heads is a cost reducing thing I’m sure. I picked up Emps at the drum shop when I picked them up. Have fun!

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Good kits, those.

Raven Black is a fine name for a color. They could have just called it “black” or “raven” but doing it twice adds a whole second layer of swagger.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your new drums! Yamaha is a great brand! As to the UT heads, I certainly wouldn't write them off as inferior. Here's Remo's official response to the difference between UT and UK heads...

"The Remo UT heads are made in our factory in China. They are made using the same Dupont Mylar film as is used on the Remo USA WeatherKing head. The difference is in the construction of the head.

Whereas the US head is made using a poured channel technique, the China heads are crimped. The aluminum hoop is folded over a steel ring that is inserted in the U-channel to hold the film in place. In terms of sound quality, the UT head is excellent due to the high quality film that we use.

Remo UK heads are also made in the same factory in China. These heads are designed for the entry-level kit and use a Korean film that still has good sound and durability features. Though not as good as Dupont Mylar film, it is far better than any of the cheap, local supply of film in China.

Many drum companies will utilize both models across various levels of quality in their production. For a good entry-level kit, most companies opt for UK heads. For their mid-range kits, they will opt for the better UT heads."

My PDP X7 came with UT heads and they sounded great!

-Marsk

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congrats on your kit!
Great buy!
The Emps will fatten them up and have a punch!

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice choice, enjoy. Glad the shipping didn't damage the drums. Steve Weiss is near me, I have not dropped in a long time (it's a warehouse, no showroom) but they are nice folks. We all look forward to seeing the unboxing! And our wives/partners...gotta love them. Mine is at the stage of "nice, what did you pay for it? Wow, good deal!" but then she's had to listen to me go on about drums for 46 years.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new kit.!....What kind of drum kit did your new Stage Customs replace after 40 years?

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations, Skyrm! There's really nothing like a new drumset. We eagerly await pics and a review.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on the FT. I’d order some Gibraltar or Pearl ISO FT feet. And I’m not sure why you’d want to change the bass drum spurs since I depend on them being there ( the spikes that is). Maybe just make sure your kit is on a rug or carpet.

Big congrats on getting the kit. Yeah, the UT heads is a cost reducing thing I’m sure. I picked up Emps at the drum shop when I picked them up. Have fun!
I agree on the floor tom legs. Years ago, I think on my Rogers kit, the spurs had removable rubber tips with a threaded nut stuffed up inside. When using them the spike of the spur would ride inside the hole of the nut.

Enjoy your new drums,
sherm

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
You twist them a quarter turn and line up the pins in the legs with the slots in the metal disc that's inserted into the rubber tip, pull the tip out and twist then tip back until it's original position.