First Drum Solo You Ever Learned

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Golden Wedding" was a very popular drum feature as a kid and that was the first one I tried to play a solo on.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably Wipeout. The first time I heard it I was in 7th grade and it eluded me. Then I discovered paradiddles.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inn A Gadda Da Vida

I’m currently learning 100,000 years , Peter Criss .
I haven’t played a drum solo in years, for some reason I’ve been entranced by 100,000 years and learning it .

Probably because I stumbled across this on you tube

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
In HS I was shedding along with Moon's solo sections from "Bargain" & Won't Get Fooled Again"
Play along, get up, run to the turntable, put the needle back to the desired section, run back to the drumset, play along again.
Repeat for hours daily.

I was 17.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. I'm thinking "Toad," off Fresh Cream. Although for me, before I knew better, it was doing the FT/BD thing. First time I saw I picture of his set and saw the dble bass my entire worldview changed. :shock:

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was the first for me also.

2nd was the solo from Rare Earth's "Get Ready". (I'd just gotten my double bass Premier kit)

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Most of Krupa's solos from the 1938 Carnegie Hall version of "Sing, Sing, Sing" were the first solos I learned, starting when I was 12 or so. Had to play them on my rack tom at first because I didn't add a floor tom to my kit until I was 14.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was drumming before "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" came out! So, for me, it would have to be "Wipe Out"!!! But, yes, I did attempt "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"!

-Mark

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never learned one....I just make 'em up if put on the spot depending on context.
However, I never "learnt them" to play per se, but I spent a LOT of time ripping off Louie Bellson's Skin Deep, and Billy Cobham's solo in Mahavishnu's One Word.
My mom really liked Tommy Aldridge's solo in the song Up by Black Oak Arkansas when we saw them on Rock Concert or Midnight Special back in the day.....suggested I learn that one but I got out of it by telling her I wasn't impressed with stick twirls....still aren't.
bt

greegor

Reaction score
First one for me was also In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which I used to try out for a seat in Jr.High jazz band. Stupid, because the guy following me did the theme song to Hawaii 5-0 which just swung and rocked out, and he got the spot. Still love Iron Butterfly, but hate the hell out of that solo. :)

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I graduated from High School in 1964 and messing around with a Krupa/Rich drum battle album; only simulated of course and played around with Sing Sing Sing. Then Wipe Out became my go to solo.

We had a lot of talent show contest in High School then. I couldn't compete because I was getting paid to play in a 4 piece country band. At the end of the show while the judges were making their decisions our band would start playing Wipe Out from behind the curtains. As they opened the crowd was yelling W I P E O U T and everyone was going wild. LOL

sherm

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
The thread titled 1st song you ever learned made me wonder, what was the first drum solo that you guys ever learned.

For me it was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Man, I loved that song and solo....back in the day!

So, which one was it for you guys/girls?

I apologize if someone has asked this question previously.
It was this one for me too. My dad was a huge hippie and saw Iron Butterfly live a few times. When I was 13 (mid 80s), he told me if he bought me my first drumset, that I had to learn this solo. I had been in school concert band for a couple years and I wasn’t a total beginner, so it was reasonable. About a year later I could get though 75% of it. I’m still looking around for a drumless version to record for my YouTube channel (including the timbale stuff). Hopefully one will pop up before he dies.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First one for me was also In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which I used to try out for a seat in Jr.High jazz band. Stupid, because the guy following me did the theme song to Hawaii 5-0 which just swung and rocked out, and he got the spot. Still love Iron Butterfly, but hate the hell out of that solo. :)
Yes, Hawaii 5 0! Holy cow, that was a very cool drum song. Sorry, you had no shot against that! Lol. The show was pretty cool, but that cover song made you want to watch it, period!

Who was the drummer?