First Drum Solo You Ever Learned

jmcohen

Reaction score
Danny Seraphine’s solo in Chicago’s “Make Me Smile.”

Tanabata

Reaction score
"Do What You Like" -- Ginger Baker from the Blind Faith LP.

First written solo was "Rudimental Jam" by Charles Wilcoxon.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The first "solo" I ever remember doing was an improv.
One day, I inadvertently filled the break on Badfinger's No Matter What.
Not sure if that answers the OP's question, but after that was probably Frankenstein.

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first drum solo I learned was from a solo a drummer did on the back end of a gospel song that I had to play with the church choir back when I was around 11 years old. I was scared lol

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a solo per se but the drum intro to the Gary Moore song “What would you rather bee or a wasp” Simon Phillips on drums. I listened to it a couple hundred times until I could write it out and practised it for months. It got so into my DNA I still play it at soundchecks to this day.

Tony Williams “What you do to me” is another. My drum teacher had the solo transcription (from a very early issue of MD) and I learned it note for note.

greegor

Reaction score
Yes, Hawaii 5 0! Holy cow, that was a very cool drum song. Sorry, you had no shot against that! Lol. The show was pretty cool, but that cover song made you want to watch it, period!

Who was the drummer?
It was by The Ventures, Mel Taylor on drums (yeah, had to look that one up).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Mel did one of the most amazing versions of Wipeout I've ever heard.
There's some B&W footage on youtube from a concert they did in Japan in 1966.
Check it out if you wanna see some wild stuff!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Inn A Gadda Da Vida

I’m currently learning 100,000 years , Peter Criss .
I haven’t played a drum solo in years, for some reason I’ve been entranced by 100,000 years and learning it .

Probably because I stumbled across this on you tube

My first solo was a combination of both of those! It brought down the house when I did it because back then almost everybody recognized where it came from. That was a great time.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first solo was a combination of both of those! It brought down the house when I did it because back then almost everybody recognized where it came from. That was a great time.
Yes!!! That’s cool as heck !! I’m hoping to combine elements from other solos as well ....

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Am I seriously the only one here who is going to say "The Downfall of Paris"? Bunch-a Haskell Harr fakers.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I graduated from High School in 1964 and messing around with a Krupa/Rich drum battle album; only simulated of course and played around with Sing Sing Sing. Then Wipe Out became my go to solo.

We had a lot of talent show contest in High School then. I couldn't compete because I was getting paid to play in a 4 piece country band. At the end of the show while the judges were making their decisions our band would start playing Wipe Out from behind the curtains. As they opened the crowd was yelling W I P E O U T and everyone was going wild. LOL

sherm
Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Let There Be Drums

and Topsy Part 2

back then everybody played Caravan w/solo I just played by ear, didn't learn it.
Let There Be Drums for Me. I discovered Sandy Nelson before I discovered Cozy Cole, but Nelson apparently based his recording on Cole's.