First generation gretsch renown

almond1210

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've just joined up to see if anyone out there can help me with deciding on a 2001 renown set. It has 6 lug toms with triple flanged hoops and a square pewter badge which just says gretsch on it, no sign of renown.
They look lovely drums, but I can't find any audio of them on the Internet. The drums I'm looking at are a fair distance away so before I make the journ ey, just wondered if anyone could enlighten me with how they compare with the more recent renowns????

Thank you folks for any input.

P

phoster

I had a set about 8 years ago. As far as difference in sound - It really comes down to the different hoops IMO. I think the suspension mounts might have been of lessor quality also, if I recall correctly. Nice badges.

I personally liked them as much as the newer Renown kit I currently have but I didn't have them at the same time to compare.

almond1210

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for your info there. It's a shame there's no audio vids anywhere of this particular renown series.
Thanks again dude.

Z

zenstat

Welcome almond,

From what I can remember these were not distributed in the USA in their earliest release so that cuts out 95% of potential readers in terms of hands on experience. I've had a look in Rob Cooks The Gretsch Drum Book, but although it mentions them as non USA built "import" drums and gives at least 3 variations of badges, shells, hardware, etc, it doesn't mention distribution details in the USA versus the rest of the world. Anyway, it might not be that your question is being ignored, but more that hardly anybody has actual experience with them and can answer your question. Of course, lack of first hand knowledge may also by why you get lots of contradictory opinions as seen in past threads:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/57149-gretsch-renown/

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/31288-did-early-gretsch-renowns-have-flanged-hoops/

You'll see that in the second thread the first person to respond who has a set is in Canada. Most other people are in the USA and have a different experience (and history of the Renown series) because of the distribution details. Some sets do seem to have found their way into the USA, but I'm not sure of the dates and versions.

Good luck in your quest.