First gig with new [old] Tama Swingstars

dexter74

Reaction score
I picked these up a few weeks ago for a pretty great price [free, after selling off the hardware and cymbals that I wasn't going to use] and was on the fence whether to flip 'em or keep as a beater/gigging kit. I did clean them up and post them for sale.... with little/no interest, at $250, so I used them on a gig last night. Not bad! Definitely a different animal than my Rogers or vintage Premier, but sounded pretty damn good once I dialed them in.

For those looking for a cheap kit, I recommend.

Attachments

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first “real” drum kit was a T-badge Swingstar just like that with standard sizes. They really did sound good with decent heads & tuning (I learned a lot about tuning with that kit). After a few years I “upgraded” to a Rockstar kit. I always thought the Swingstars sounded better. Live & learn!

dexter74

Reaction score
I just flipped one with power toms. I just couldn't do them, then a day later these showed up. I was kinda worried about how the toms would sound but was pleasantly surprised.

I put an older sk2 on the BD. No bueno. I'm gonna try an emad on it.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just picked up an original/matched set of black 1983 red badge Swingstars this past week in standard sizes of 8,10,12,13,16,22 and snare with nearly all original hardware including a mint faux leather throne and the correct Swingstar line standalone double tom stand. The Swingstar kick drum pedal wasn't with it though....but the Chicago Ludwig Speed King was a nice replacement. All red label, single braced Tama hardware. Still cleaning them up but looking forward to playing them as I've never had one of these before. These earlier ones have the pointy/boat style lugs.

Kendrum

Reaction score
I have an original set of red badge Swingstars from 1983. I origin ally got the 12-13-16-22 and a few years later found and 8 and 10. I have the toms on Rims mounts. Its in good shape for it's age and they sound good with proper tuning. Is it a Star? No but it works well for a gigging kit. Well made and holds up.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just flipped one with power toms. I just couldn't do them, then a day later these showed up. I was kinda worried about how the toms would sound but was pleasantly surprised.

I put an older sk2 on the BD. No bueno. I'm gonna try an emad on it.
I just scored a stripped imperialstar with standard toms a couple months ago. Working on rebuilding and mod ing. And I own an 83 Imp with standard toms. Great drums!

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
I refurbished a set of Swingstars I got for a song. Pulled the wrap and stained them pecan. I gigged with them for years.
Nice little Bop kit that sounded great and were nice and light to drag around.
Slingy.jpg