First gig with the new CM's!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took delivery about a month ago, and friday night was the first time out. What beautiful drums!
The build quality and the tone - they certainly lived up to expectations!
I am amazed at how full they sound in the Downbeat sizes.

This was a sub gig that I knew absolutely nothing about, so I used the ported front head, but
turned out nothing was mic'ed up other than vocals
I've never been an un-ported guy, so my question is - in a classic rock outfit, un-mic'ed, which
will sound bigger out in the crowd, ported on un-ported?

Another question, the snare drum is the only one that came with a ludwig weathermaster head, which
is a medium (diplomat weight) I assumed it would sound too thin so I swapped it out.
Does anyone use the mediums, and do you like them?

Attachments

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a beauty and it'll cover probably most of what you'll ever need to play. Congrats!

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends. Sorry, that answer sucks. Haha. If you go unported and muffle it will be heard less than if you don't muffle.

Same with the port really but my personal experience is that the un ported and unmuffled kick booms more. The sound has a chance to fill holes in the sonic pallette of the whole band. Especially if you're doing 1 kick drum 1 pedal rock and roll type stuff.

My vote is unported, no muffling.

I'd switch the snare head to an Ambassador. I'd be worried about breaking the Diplo mid set.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gland you love your new CM's. I usually play an ported head and since i don't have an unported head laying aroundto swap out for un-mic'ed gigs, so I just roll with the ported. I like the Ludwig snare head. When I get a Ludwig snare, I usually play the Ludwig head until it wears out then replace it with a preferred Remo or Evans. I'm pretty sure I gigged on it, but that would have been a long time ago.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cochlea said:
I love the retro look. Is that a Steve Maxwell vintage build?
thanks, yes it's Steve's build. I love the look also. I'm going to get the shorter gull wing spurs though, just because
I prefer that look.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
john14 said:
Love the rail mount! Great kit!
thanks, I've never had a rail mount before. no issues with choking the drum that's for sure. that tom
sings like a bird!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tomb said:
thanks, yes it's Steve's build. I love the look also. I'm going to get the shorter gull wing spurs though, just because
I prefer that look.
One of the first things I noticed in the photo was the longer spurs. I actually like these over the shorter ones you see on the Legacy and Club Date kits. Sometimes they as so short that they have to be angled inward, which looks very odd to me. You probably won't have this problem because you've got a 20" bass drum.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Ludwig heavy weathermaster coated heads on my CM snares (LS401 and 403) and I prefer them to Remo ambassadors. I used to use Vintage Ambassadors, but like the weathermasters slightly better.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cochlea said:
I prefer that look.
One of the first things I noticed in the photo was the longer spurs. I actually like these over the shorter ones you see on the Legacy and Club Date kits. Sometimes they as so short that they have to be angled inward, which looks very odd to me. You probably won't have this problem because you've got a 20" bass drum.

from what I can tell on the ludwig website, they use the longer ones on 18" & 20" bass drums, and the shorter ones on 22" and bigger. Not sure why as it appears the shorter ones would work just fine

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tomb said:
from what I can tell on the ludwig website, they use the longer ones on 18" & 20" bass drums, and the shorter ones on 22" and bigger. Not sure why as it appears the shorter ones would work just fine
That's interesting. I had assumed that the longer spurs were something Steve Maxwell supplied rather than coming directly from Ludwig. I like them!

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new CM. That is a nice looking drum set, I know your proud.

As far the reso head; I've been playing ported heads for so long I don't remember what it sounded like without a port. The only reason I started was in case I would play a mic'ed gig which have been very very few.

The only thing I would suggest for the future you may want to try a smaller port, I feel it helps some to retain tone and resonance. On my 22" I use a 5" or 6", probably 5" (do they make a 5") I can get my fist through it, on my 18's I only use a 4" port; I can get my hand through that but it's tight. LOL! And it really depends on the type sound your looking for.

In large halls I've never had a problem with people not hearing me without a mic. But them again it may depend on style of music. I played Big Band and now low volume Country.

sherm

Latest posts