First internet rehearsal last night...

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Man, there's no way I could do that with my internet connection. I can't even teach via zoom if video is required. The new subdivision at the end of my street has fiber-optic internet but the best upload speed I can get is (no exaggeration) 0.4 Mbps. Well, they offered to hook up cable internet for FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. That's a lot of cymbals right there. I dream of retiring to the furthest sticks I can manage, but I currently live in the fastest growing suburb of one of the biggest cities in the USA.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, there's no way I could do that with my internet connection. I can't even teach via zoom if video is required. The new subdivision at the end of my street has fiber-optic internet but the best upload speed I can get is (no exaggeration) 0.4 Mbps. Well, they offered to hook up cable internet for FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. That's a lot of cymbals right there. I dream of retiring to the furthest sticks I can manage, but I currently live in the fastest growing suburb of one of the biggest cities in the USA.
Ouch! Look into wireless line-of-sight type internet. My folks have it out in the sticks. The price is reasonable, the speed is pretty OK, and the latency is surprisingly good. They just had to put a transmitter up on a pole or something. Wasn't that big of a deal.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Ouch! Look into wireless line-of-sight type internet. My folks have it out in the sticks. The price is reasonable, the speed is pretty OK, and the latency is surprisingly good. They just had to put a transmitter up on a pole or something. Wasn't that big of a deal.
I did. My electrical coop offers it, but due to the obscured line of sight they can't offer me better numbers than what I'm getting now (2.5 down, 0.4 up), but the weather would also affect it occasionally.
<tinfoil hat> I suspect AT&T is purposefully holding out on certain areas like mine to get the government to kick in a boatload of money. If they just did it for a reasonable fee, then everyone would have great internet and they couldn't petition the government for a billion dollars to level the field they keep unlevel as a bargaining chip. Once that dough's there the connection fee will magically become the same as everyone else's even though the billion will be whisked away to Switzerland.</tinfoil hat>
Whatever the actual cause, it's a ridiculous situation, and a good excuse for avoiding Zoom meetings and rehearsals (I hate rehearsals).

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No matter what you're gonna have delays/latency. Slow amorphous tunes are OK but anything at all lively is not going to really be "tight." You could overlook it maybe but as drummers, well me anyway, not being tight ruins it completely.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did. My electrical coop offers it, but due to the obscured line of sight they can't offer me better numbers than what I'm getting now (2.5 down, 0.4 up), but the weather would also affect it occasionally.
<tinfoil hat> I suspect AT&T is purposefully holding out on certain areas like mine to get the government to kick in a boatload of money. If they just did it for a reasonable fee, then everyone would have great internet and they couldn't petition the government for a billion dollars to level the field they keep unlevel as a bargaining chip. Once that dough's there the connection fee will magically become the same as everyone else's even though the billion will be whisked away to Switzerland.</tinfoil hat>
Whatever the actual cause, it's a ridiculous situation, and a good excuse for avoiding Zoom meetings and rehearsals (I hate rehearsals).
I'm not going to delve too far into the politics of this - forum rules and all - but I think it is pretty much the exact opposite of what you suspect. Hint: the money's already there to do it - it's just more profitable not to, if they don't have to.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Hi Magnus! Have you posted about the cymbals before? Perhaps a sound file of the ride? Don't want to hijack this thread (too much).
Hi Thomas,

No, I haven't posted about this cymbal, at least not for many years. I'll try to make a soundfile this Sunday, if my neighbours permit a repeat of our online rehearsal.

Both the hats and ride have damages - otherwise I think their prices would have been forbidding for me: one of the hats has been a crack that has been drilled out, paralell with the bell. And the ride has a couple of short hairline cracks in the bell, which also has a dent; the cracks have been stopped by small holes drilled at the ends.

I have had the hats and cymbal for years, and have been using the hats daily since 2012 without any issues. They are beautiful instruments.

/Magnus

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Oh absolutely - I get it. And what I wrote wasn't meant to disparage what you were doing. and how/why you were doing it. I think it's great you guys were able to get it work - as like you wrote, a crutch to limp through these trying times.

I was just pointing out, that sad to say, your probably excellent broadband and close proximity to each other pretty much confirms the degree to which this won't work at any acceptable level at all for most folks. The broadband aspect can be solved for most folks that can afford it (here in the states, depending where you live) - but there's just no getting around the distance parameter - that's just hard physics.

But you've shown that is at least workable for those within close enough proximity of each other.
No worries, I didn't take it as disparagement. We were all surprised by how relatively well it all worked. I just felt a need to stress the positives to weigh up against your input. :)

/Magnus

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Never heard of that snare.....more info and pics, please!
Sure. It is an absolutely fantastic drum. Premier made a limited run of 50 14x5.5 Modern Classic Craviotto Solid Shell Snare drums in 2005 (here is review from back when). I had the extreme luck about a year ago to find one of these (nr 4) at a very good price here in Sweden. Premier collaborated with Johnny Craviotto on these drums. JC made the shells, and Premier built the drums, with gold-plated hardware. It's an 8-lugger.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out the exact specs of the shell. The shell is steambent North American Rock Maple, with rerings. I have contacted Premier, but they didn't know anything about thickness and edges, and Craviotto couldn't provide any information either. So my guess is that the shell is 1/4 inch, with 30 degree bearing edges. But that's just my guess. Another guess is that these drums were modelled on the Radio King - but I don't know the specs of these either, so...

But. The drum is a stunning looker, and even more stunning to play. And fortunately, I for one really love the Nickel strainers, even though the consensus is to hate them. I have put 12 strand Puresound wires on it, since I prefer shell over wires.

I cannot see myself parting from this drum.

Here are a couple of pics.
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

/Magnus

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
I'm not going to delve too far into the politics of this - forum rules and all - but I think it is pretty much the exact opposite of what you suspect. Hint: the money's already there to do it - it's just more profitable not to, if they don't have to.
Just so that we all know what we are talking about here. This is the results I got this morning for my broadband connection over wifi - and with my wife on her computer, too. And with Jamulus I got 300 Mbps down and better figures overall, since I used an Ethernet cable connection, not wifi.

Speed.JPG

/Magnus

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The same thing here.

The municipality installed fiber only in new expensive building and area project for years here.

Suddenly the biggest provider wanted to get this as a promotion offence and a year or so later, every house now has it.

This is wireless on my iPhone 11 Pro at 10:35 AM (a quite morning with nobody at home, nor much people in their houses in) the street:
1606815422475.png

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I do love my acre despite the abominable internet connection (and all the lawn/tree maintenance). The second best part (after the excellent BBQ pit that came with it) is that my four nearest neighbors are 130, 160, 280, and 360 feet away, so I don't have to worry about disturbing them with my drumming.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Hi Magnus! Have you posted about the cymbals before? Perhaps a sound file of the ride? Don't want to hijack this thread (too much).
Hi again, Thomas,

At long last, here is a link where you can hear this exact setup, recorded in the exact way as for the Jamulus sessions.

This piece was recorded, obviously, in my apartment, in mono. with one small condenser mic overhead over the snare, and another one as front of kit, pointed to the bass drum. The occasion was this: I was invited by the guitarist to participate in a duo improvisation piece with him, where he was sent a part (that I never heard) for which he recorded the part I was sent, and I then improvised my part to.

I think there is a description of the whole process on the Bandcamp page for this project.

Anyway, whatever musical qualities my contribution to this piece may have, I think the recording gives a very good impression of how the cymbal, hihat, snare drum and bass drum really do sound.

/Magnus

ThomasL

Reaction score
Thanks, Magnus! Some cool improvisation there. This seems to confirm my (personal) opinion that solid-shell snares tend to be quite 'loud' and resonant compared to the dark cymbals we like to use for jazz. Perhaps it's just the recording, and your opinion and taste may differ, but this is basically why I sold the two steam-bent snares I had. Others might find my preference for dry snares odd. Other than that, I liked all the sounds. Would love to hear the ride in a straight-ahead tune.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
You are welcome, Thomas. I haven't recorded with this cymbal, actually, other than this. But I will keep it in mind, and let you know when and if I do.

I wouldn't say that solid shell snares are loud. I think they are more open sounding than ply snares, less dry, definitely. The overhead mic is pointed straight down into the center of the snare drum batterhead, and the ride is in the traditional ride position, so there will probably be a prevalence of snare over ride in the mic because of that. I don't mind, though.

Also, the cymbal is EXTREMELY light and thin, and very quiet. The drum is not exactly loud, but definitely capable of more roar and bite than the cymbal.

As you correctly identified, I am not a fan of a dry snare sound, or a dry sound on any drum, really. I never use damping (incorrect: I always put one piece of Moongel along the rim on the bass drum batter head on this kit, and on my Gretsch Progressive Jazz I actually have the floor tom dampener minimally engaged) and even go down to 12 strand snare wires at very loose tension to maximise openness. On the other hand, I don't like rims and other reso mounts, but prefer bass drum mounted toms, regardless of any potential loss of resonance.

/Magnus