First Kit - Buying and Setup

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nic
My first Fat Strat was an MIM. Sounded great through a Blues Jr. Good association!
Nice. I have an old MIM tele I stripped and refinished in nitro sunburst and a friend set up with duncan antiquities and a 3 saddle bridge. Its a much nicer guitar than My couple of cowboy and power chords will ever justify

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't putter around.....wouldn't you really want to be the envy of all the dfo'ers? Isn't it all about having the ultimate drum set configuration so that all the musicians in your local area will want to play with you?
Go for the big shiny or there are a few great choices in those "famous/infamous drummer" drum auctions, that I would imagine come with a dose of mojo.... You could even charge admission to see drummer X's tour kit, or the kit drummer Y used on that TV variety show that resides in your drum shed/room/cave....

On the other hand, like guitars, a kit will will find you.....or a good choice for choices is to rent a kit for a month. If it fits you cool, and if not you can try out another one. Of course this depends if there is a place where you can rent from.
There also may be rehearsal studios that provide kits as part of their package. Book a session or three and you might be able to try out a few kits and take it from there.
If, as you say, you also speak with a competent teacher, he or she can give invaluable gear advice. I have helped a bunch of folks with gear choices as I have a bunch of gear choices.
bt
The problem with having that awesome super-mega kit is that I don't know any other drummers in this area to show it off to!

And you right on the guitars .... I would be in the market (or not so much) and I'd play a guitar and it would talk back to me, regardless of price. When it would start to talk back, I couldn't stand it and had to have it.

I'll look for rehearsal studios around here but right now I don't know of any. Maybe some of the stores with practice areas have them? Obviously, I'm not "in the scene" at this time. I'll talk to a few friends who used to call if they were reaching the bottom of the barrel for stand-in guitar players and see if they know. I think most of them use one of their houses for practice.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't putter around.....wouldn't you really want to be the envy of all the dfo'ers? Isn't it all about having the ultimate drum set configuration so that all the musicians in your local area will want to play with you?
Go for the big shiny or there are a few great choices in those "famous/infamous drummer" drum auctions, that I would imagine come with a dose of mojo.... You could even charge admission to see drummer X's tour kit, or the kit drummer Y used on that TV variety show that resides in your drum shed/room/cave....

On the other hand, like guitars, a kit will will find you.....or a good choice for choices is to rent a kit for a month. If it fits you cool, and if not you can try out another one. Of course this depends if there is a place where you can rent from.
There also may be rehearsal studios that provide kits as part of their package. Book a session or three and you might be able to try out a few kits and take it from there.
If, as you say, you also speak with a competent teacher, he or she can give invaluable gear advice. I have helped a bunch of folks with gear choices as I have a bunch of gear choices.
bt
Go big or go home: https://reverb.com/item/755394-dw-c...ur-kit-w-sabian-radia-cymbals-and-dw-hardware

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update to this thread .... I have someone coming over today to look at one of my acoustics. It's priced to sell and the potential buyer seems serious. If it sells, I'm in a "buy when you find it" mode. I've gone back and looked at all the links members gave me in this thread and am lining up who/what to call as soon as I have cash in hand.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice in this thread. You know what to do.

You might offer in your advertising to swap a guitar for a drum kit. Somebody might be looking to trade.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice in this thread. You know what to do.

You might offer in your advertising to swap a guitar for a drum kit. Somebody might be looking to trade.
If the guy looking today doesn't buy, I may do that. I feel a bit smarter about drums just because of the research that came from all the information given to me in this and a few other threads.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
yeah, you bet. I should have added that after a year of ownership of my CX kit, I’m still quite happy with them. It came with PDP’s double bass pedal but I prefer the feel & response of Pearl (might be because my instructor’s student kit has a Demonator for the kick) so I have a P932 on my CX and moved the PDP kick over to my e-kit.

Lastly, and this is personal preference, I’d like to convert my 14” Tom to a floor Mount instead of stand Mount. I don’t know if it’s just age but the Mount for my Tom eventually droops no matter how tight I try to tighten it.
Have had my CX's for 16 years and haven't thought for a second about replacing. I did convert the 14 to a floor as I was gigging ALOT and it was just easier. Also, hence the gigging, I switched to much lighter flat base stands so no way to mount it.

I simply used the brackets and legs from my 90's Tama Rockstar DX. You'll need a special bit which the name escapes me. When I initially started drilling with a normal bit I got through the wrap and then the seriously hard maple just laughed at me. No matter how fast or hard I pressed it made nothing but a little divet. Luckily my guitar player builds guitars and quickly knew and hooked me up with exactly what I needed.

scole

Reaction score
I’m likely to go with the Gauger Dynamount system when I do convert it to a floor Tom. I emailed them & asked if their product would work with the 6 lug design of the CX 14” Tom and they said it would be just fine.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the advice that many have given. Buy a good used kit and good used
A Zildjian cymbals.

$1500 should get you a nice used Ludwig maple classic kit and a set of cymbals: 14” hats, 20”ride, and a couple crashes (16 & 18). better hardware may need to be substituted in over time. Hi hat stand and bass drum pedals will be the most important pieces of hardware to improve upon or invest well to begin with. You can get by with fair / average cymbal stands and an average snare stand for a long time.

I would recommend basic drum shell sizes commonly found in vintage kits:
22 x 14 bass drum
8 X 12 and 9 X 13 mounted (rack) toms
16 X 16 and/or 14 X 14 floor Tom
All in maple (or birch)
You may find that you’ll never need to trade up; vintage Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig are all good choices.

-just my opinion-

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is perfect for a beginner:

Plus decent pedals, and name brand b20 hats and ride. That's all you need. Get a good crash when you find a good deal, but you don't need one to start. Maybe some fresh heads.

sternerp

Reaction score
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club bop kit that I really like, sounds good, played a bunch of bar gigs with it and it didn't break the bank. I have good heads and nice cymbals and would do it all over again.
I agree. My first set at age 50 was a Catalina Club and some semi-pro cymbals. That'll get you going for a few years. Then, as you become a better drummer, you'll have a better understanding on how you might want to upgrade.