header.nohb.html

First Kit - Buying and Setup

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
Just for reference: a similar set sold for $800: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124651342657
And you get a few things on top of that. I wouldn't haggle to get it for $50 less if the dealer is a nice person. Might even lead to some new connections / musicians. :)

Edit: Age is not important if everything works / can be easily fixed. Lots of drummers covet 50+ years old drums!

Thanks! I'm a poor haggler and generally won't do it. If I like the kit I'll pay the asking price. If I find damage, I'll bring it up then negotiate. I'm sure most mark the price up a bit assuming they will come down and if so, they will make a bit extra off me.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Yeah, have a good look at them! Just saying that it's still a good deal even if you end up getting a bearing edge recut or you need to replace a bunch of rusty rods. Drums are pretty forgiving and if they are still somewhat in round and the lugs and shells are not desintegrating, they can often be fixed at moderate prices / time invested. If the set is mostly solid, go for it!

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
Yeah, have a good look at them! Just saying that it's still a good deal even if you end up getting a bearing edge recut or you need to replace a bunch of rusty rods. Drums are pretty forgiving and if they are still somewhat in round and the lugs and shells are not desintegrating, they can often be fixed at moderate prices / time invested. If the set is mostly solid, go for it!

We have a really good music store near me that does excellent repair work. If I need anything done, that's the first place I'd go. I'd be willing to have a few things fixed and in reality, will use this set to really learn about drums themselves as well as work on me being a competent drummer.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Even better yet!
I'm glad that @1988fxlr confirmed that "Rockers" are solid drums. I've read about Luwdig "Standards" (another cheaper series with good shells) had some issues with lugs breaking, but if the Rockers hardware holds up, that's a good foundation for a project. I've seen someone changing the wrap and lugs of Rockers shells and cutting the toms down to traditional sizes. So you might keep those drums forever. Just tossing out some ideas - first get them and play them until you want to change anything!

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
Even better yet!
I'm glad that @1988fxlr confirmed that "Rockers" are solid drums. I've read about Luwdig "Standards" (another cheaper series with good shells) had some issues with lugs breaking, but if the Rockers hardware holds up, that's a good foundation for a project. I've seen someone changing the wrap and lugs of Rockers shells and cutting the toms down to traditional sizes. So you might keep those drums forever. Just tossing out some ideas - first get them and play them until you want to change anything!

Chances are I'd do nothing but necessary repairs to this kit. They are "vintage" and deserve to stay as original as possible. Just like grandma!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even better yet!
Rockers have the same lugs as standards. I had a rockers kit and still have the snare. If the lugs are solid now, they’ll likely stay that way. They just are plain looking, casting and basic design is pretty similar to other ludwigs of the time. Tom mounts are a generation behind the high end ludwigs of the time, which is a good thing as the high end stuff had massive overkill modular mounts. Presuming you like the sizes and kit the only upgrade to the drums I would consider down the road is wood bass drum hoops and thats more preference than necessity

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Even if they weren't a sleeper, the Rockers I saw on your local CL were a screaming deal ($150 - buy it now!) that I'd readily scarf for a first kit as good enough to get going. I'd put that 2nd tom away for a while though and force the work on the up/down transition. Actually I'd put all the toms away for a bit while you work on kick/hats/snare.

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
Even if they weren't a sleeper, the Rockers I saw on your local CL were a screaming deal ($150 - buy it now!) that I'd readily scarf for a first kit as good enough to get going. I'd put that 2nd tom away for a while though and force the work on the up/down transition. Actually I'd put all the toms away for a bit while you work on kick/hats/snare.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. kit/hats/snare and get comfortable. From my previous guitar playing, I know my tendencies to go play and distract myself. Lots of songs I can play with that simple setup.

Hwy61

Reaction score
There should be many good choices available. Older / used higher end drums and newer less expensive drums that offer good quality at a lower price point. I would just caution about being taken advantage of and being sold some crappy drums by a “ wheeler & dealer “. If you have a friend who’s a little savvy then they could help you choose wisely. If your taller, then a 22” bass drum should be a good choice although 20” bass drums are popular, too. 24” not out of the question if it’s a good deal. I’m tall & prefer a larger size. But as others mentioned a set including a 22x14, 12x8, & 16x16 ( or 16x14 ) would be a good choice. When I got started then both a 12” & 13” ride toms were common on a kit. Today 10” & 12” are more popular I think. But 13’s are very nice if that’s the only ride tom. Either A 12” or 13” will work great with a 10”. Used Zildjian A’s also a great choice. k’s great, too. If available. Being able to rent or test various kits is a great suggestion. The snare is arguably the most important drum. But the same suggestions apply to them. There are very good sounding snares available for a reasonable price. Have fun !

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I'm trading out the guitar (hand condition) for drums, I have a fair idea that I'm going to stick with playing.

How often do you see a new drummer (I'm 53 yrs old, if that matters) buy a kit that is so underwhelming that really quickly they upgrade? How often do you see a new drummer go buy a kit that is so far advanced they have no chance of catching up to it for quite some time?

As you could probably tell, I'm arguing with myself on what price point to jump into for my first kit. On one hand, I've thought of buying "the cheapest kit that would work", whatever that would mean, and then start replacing drums one every other month or so as my practice commitment and abilities improve. On the other hand, I know buying a combo kit is probably cheaper in the long run. I'd buy into a basic kit and then add to it, again as my needs arise.

I'm sure my dilemma is common. While I don't know what "the cheapest kit that would work" would be, I'm certainly thinking the Mapex Armory 6-Piece Studioease is probably a touch more than required at this time! Currently, I have an Evans practice pad and will stick with that for a bit, but will eventually purchase something.
My first drum set was a Rogers Londoner, actually a frankenstein set cobbled together from two Rogers sets. I bought it used, but I wanted a Rogers and at the time they were the most expensive drums sold and I couldn't afford a new set. I wanted to be a drummer and I knew exactly what I wanted. It was an inspiration to play them. It wasn't a mistake. I owned them for 30 years. Buy a set that makes you smile when you play them

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you leave your price range open to $600-$1200 you can buy very good used to excellent intermediate and pro kits with good cymbals and hardware. These will pop up on your local CL and FB about once a month.
Those kits you can't lose money on if you tried. And the next tier down you'll break even at worst. Buy the best kit available at the best price that has "good" pro cymbals with it - Zildjian, Paiste, or Sabian. You'll have no
problem reselling such a kit for what you paid. You might even make a few hundred $$ after you decided you want something different. The last 2 vintage 60's to 80's kits I bought lingered on CL/FB for weeks, one of them for months.
And they were both pretty mint too. Got them both in the $1100-$1200 range. And they were stacked with great Zildjian A's, cases, etc. That seems to be a price range where only dealers or flippers care to tread. But you can gets some
great kits at 50c to 75c on the dollar by doing so.

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
I went and looked at the drums and bought them. Some other items were thrown in and in the end I think it was all a very good idea. I'm going to take photos of everything and post them for viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, I'm changing jobs and I have to get a security certification for it. I need to leave everything in my living room and study for a bit. On my breaks, I'll take photos and carry everything down to a room in the basement that I use for music.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO HELPED ME WITH THIS.

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
In addition to the kit and cymbals and such, this was the extra 16" tom that came with it. I now have two 16" toms.

media.jpg

scole

Reaction score
Congrats! Kind of felt like an extend family member waiting for the birth of a child. :laughing5:

That looks like a pretty shade of purple on that extra Tom.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went and looked at the drums and bought them. Some other items were thrown in and in the end I think it was all a very good idea. I'm going to take photos of everything and post them for viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, I'm changing jobs and I have to get a security certification for it. I need to leave everything in my living room and study for a bit. On my breaks, I'll take photos and carry everything down to a room in the basement that I use for music.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO HELPED ME WITH THIS.

Nice!

ok now... PLAY FREEBIRD!

:p

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
At long last... a triumph! ;)
Some other items were thrown in and in the end I think it was all a very good idea
Looking forward to seeing the stash of vintage Ks! That floor tom looks nice - you should be able to get something from $50 to $100 for it if you're willing to ship it. Also advertise it as a candidate for a bass drum conversion when/if you want to sell it. :)

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
Congrats! Kind of felt like an extend family member waiting for the birth of a child. :laughing5:

That looks like a pretty shade of purple on that extra Tom.

Kindof like the nephew that comes to family picnics and the parents won't control from sticking his hand into the tater salad?

WonderMonkey

Reaction score
At long last... a triumph! ;)

Looking forward to seeing the stash of vintage Ks! That floor tom looks nice - you should be able to get something from $50 to $100 for it if you're willing to ship it. Also advertise it as a candidate for a bass drum conversion when/if you want to sell it. :)

I've not considered it for a bass drum conversion, very interesting!

It also came with a cowbell.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Kindof like the nephew that comes to family picnics and the parents won't control from sticking his hand into the tater salad?

He's just saving everyone from Bacillus cereus. Wet starchy foods are strictly at home foods! You can't really kill that stuff, just minimize the growing time.