First Kit - Buying and Setup

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
I've not considered it for a bass drum conversion, very interesting!
Well, I thought of that conversion as a selling point, but you might as well keep the tom and remember this potential mod. :)
(A 16" bass drum can sound nice, though.)

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put it all together. I know that things aren't necessarily placed in a standard spot ..... I'll get to that. I know moves and tweaks are coming. I'll find a "starting point" configuration and go from there. There is a sweetwater video I've already watched about throne height, snare and all that. However, I'll take any instructional you may have.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an old kit. The connection points and the snare stand are really showing their age. I can't hand tighten the toms on the kick drum enough to where they don't slide and rotate. I'm going to have to use a pair of pliers or channel locks to give it an extra little bit.

The three holder arms for the snare have each been bent and then un-bent to add adjustment. Now, to get the snare where you want it, you use the main adjustment (toothed thing) on the post and then start a series of bending and straightening to get it where you want. Most likely I'll buy a new snare stand but I'm going to wait and see if I need cymbal stands as well. Maybe I'll buy a hardware pack of them. It's not critical at this moment. I think I read somewhere that the connection points (whatever the actual names are) can be replaced. I'll have to readjust the drums several times to get them just right so maybe I'll stop caring about them once I get it all settled in.

The mount point on one side of the kick drum is a bit loose. I'm going to take off the front skin on the drum and tighten them both. The ones on the toms seem ok.

The heads look "well used" but I don't know if they need to be replaced. I did get a few extra heads with the deal so I'll get into that maybe next week, maybe next month. Right now I don't know the difference between crappy heads and good ones, so I'll not distract myself with that.

I'm glad I got this set of drums. They need attention and going through whipping them into ultimate shape should teach me a bit about drums in general.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is an old kit. The connection points and the snare stand are really showing their age. I can't hand tighten the toms on the kick drum enough to where they rotate. I'm going to have to use a pair of pliers or channel locks to give it an extra little bit.

The three holder arms for the snare have each been bent and then un-bent to add adjustment. Now, to get the snare where you want it, you use the main adjustment (toothed thing) on the post and then start a series of bending and straightening to get it where you want. Most likely I'll buy a new snare stand but I'm going to wait and see if I need cymbal stands as well. Maybe I'll buy a hardware pack of them. It's not critical at this moment. I think I read somewhere that the connection points (whatever the actual names are) can be replaced. I'll have to readjust the drums several times to get them just right so maybe I'll stop caring about them once I get it all settled in.

The mount point on one side of the kick drum is a bit loose. I'm going to take off the front skin on the drum and tighten them both. The ones on the toms seem ok.

The heads look "well used" but I don't know if they need to be replaced. I did get a few extra heads with the deal so I'll get into that maybe next week, maybe next month. Right now I don't know the difference between crappy heads and good ones, so I'll not distract myself with that.

I'm glad I got this set of drums. They need attention and going through whipping them into ultimate shape should teach me a bit about drums in general.
Luckily Ludwig still makes most of the parts you might need. Regarding your previous post about setup, there is no real standard but you will probably have an easier time getting around the kit if you bring the toms down so there is just about an inch clearance between the bottom rims and the bass drum. Everything else just try to position where you can comfortably hit them but far enough apart from each other that you only hit what you want to hit and cymbals dont strike anything else when they swing. You might find it easier to keep your hi hats fairly high above your snare until you get used to crossing over without hitting your hands and sticks off each other. You’ll find setup on vintage drums to be a lot simpler than vintage guitars. Mostly just little hardware issues, and even the most elaborate 80’s drum hardware is easier than messing with kahlers or floyd roses

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily Ludwig still makes most of the parts you might need. Regarding your previous post about setup, there is no real standard but you will probably have an easier time getting around the kit if you bring the toms down so there is just about an inch clearance between the bottom rims and the bass drum. Everything else just try to position where you can comfortably hit them but far enough apart from each other that you only hit what you want to hit and cymbals dont strike anything else when they swing. You might find it easier to keep your hi hats fairly high above your snare until you get used to crossing over without hitting your hands and sticks off each other. You’ll find setup on vintage drums to be a lot simpler than vintage guitars. Mostly just little hardware issues, and even the most elaborate 80’s drum hardware is easier than messing with kahlers or floyd roses
I did notice already that I seemed to have to perform too much movement to get to the toms. I'm going to try and get everything more and more compact without one pice interfering with the next. My throne won't stay tight enough to stay where I want it so I'll have to get the pliers out and take care of that first so I know what's what.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did notice already that I seemed to have to perform too much movement to get to the toms. I'm going to try and get everything more and more compact without one pice interfering with the next. My throne won't stay tight enough to stay where I want it so I'll have to get the pliers out and take care of that first so I know what's what.
Go easy with the pliers, most joints on drum hardware are just pot metal. Also a little setup tip, if you are going to use that boom stand extended try to place one of the legs of the stand directly below the cymbal. The higher up you go, further extended you, and heavier the cymbal the more important that is.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go easy with the pliers, most joints on drum hardware are just pot metal. Also a little setup tip, if you are going to use that boom stand extended try to place one of the legs of the stand directly below the cymbal. The higher up you go, further extended you, and heavier the cymbal the more important that is.
I went down to test things out and I went just far enough beyond finger tight to keep it in place. As for the positioning of the leg on the cymbal, good tip.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
1. I can't hand tighten the toms on the kick drum enough to where they don't slide and rotate. I'm going to have to use a pair of pliers or channel locks to give it an extra little bit.
2. Now, to get the snare where you want it, you use the main adjustment (toothed thing) on the post and then start a series of bending and straightening to get it where you want.
3. The heads look "well used" but I don't know if they need to be replaced. I did get a few extra heads with the deal so I'll get into that maybe next week, maybe next month. Right now I don't know the difference between crappy heads and good ones, so I'll not distract myself with that.
1. So the problem lies in the mounting bracket on the bass drum, right? I would take it off, then remove dust, gunk and rust and reassemble it. When a piece of hardware doesn't work properly it's most often a stripped thread or it's the corresponding screw / wing nut. Sometimes, there is a plastic bushing in a metal tube that is worn out which causes the problem.
Anyway, don't solve it with brute force - it will make the problem only worse over time. You might find a memory lock that fits on the post to prevent it from sliding further down into the bass drum.
2. I don't understand that problem to be honest. You have bent the three arms of the snare basket straight but they won't stay there? Anyway, keep the stand. You might be able to use it position one mounted tom instead of using the mount on the bass drum.
3. They might still be fine. If you take off the head and it's so worn that it's sagging and has lots of dents, it's time to think about new heads. But since you're getting mesh heads soon, I wouldn't worry now. Pinstripes are pretty durable, so they might still work a while. While taking off the heads, you might wipe off dust and splinters from the heads and bearing edges. Soak the tuning rods in some WD-40 or similar to get a smoother action - that will make it easier to tune the drums.

This link might be useful too. Of course you don't need to do all of that - just some options and what you can pay attention to. http://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

Last edited: