First kit n00b question. Yamaha SC floor tom leg spurs

scott757

Reaction score
I just got my Yamaha Stage Customs in today. I noticed the floor tom legs have spurs. Is there a way to retract them so the rubber part is making contact with the floor? Here’s a pic. I tried turning to unscrew them and they didn’t seem to budge. First kit. What do I do?

Attachments

AgentGreen

Reaction score
welcome to the YSC club! mine don't have these spurs, what generation of YSCs are those?

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are typically found on Recording Customs and a few other lines. The rubber cups are designed to be rotated up or down to expose or hide the spurs. My recollection is, there's a slotted lock inside the rubber cup - pins on the legs fit in the slots. Pins on top, spurs are hidden, pins on bottom, spurs are exposed.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I had the same issue.
This is from Jim at Yamaha:

"You twist them a quarter turn and line up the pins in the legs with the slots in the metal disc that's inserted into the rubber tip, pull the tip out and twist then tip back until it's original position. If you need any more help with this, email me at jhaler@Yamaha.com. "

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What Jim said is true. What's also true-- and having acquired four Yamaha floor toms in the last year, I know what I'm talking about-- is that sometimes at first they're so tight that they just won't slide down even when you've been able to get the little pegs aligned with the slots.

The solution is to take a small crescent wrench and set it on the top of the FT foot, around the floor tom leg. Have a friend hold the leg tightly (or put it in a vice) and tap the top of the wrench lightly with a hammer. This loosens the feet up up and they slide off. In my experience, after the first time you don't need to do the wrench and hammer thing again.

scott757

Reaction score
I had the same issue.
This is from Jim at Yamaha:

"You twist them a quarter turn and line up the pins in the legs with the slots in the metal disc that's inserted into the rubber tip, pull the tip out and twist then tip back until it's original position. If you need any more help with this, email me at jhaler@Yamaha.com. "
Should the pins in the leg be resting on top of the metal disc? Or is there two tiers inside the metal disc?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer them extended since I always use a rug.

Latest posts