First lesson - Drag beats (quintuplet and septuplet grooves) - feedback wanted

Curi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally got over my fear of the camera and tried to film a lesson on drag beats (which are basic quintuplet and septuplet grooves). I still feel and sound like a bit of a dope, but I'm hoping that will lessen with time.

Being my first lesson there's a lot of stuff I'd like to do better and would love to hear what other drummers think of it - what I could improve on, what was good, what wasn't good etc. It's on an unlisted youtube link so it's not fully released yet. I'm going to refilm the talking bits I think and try and get it in one longer take rather than lots of short cuts, as well as reframe it so I'm less in the centre of the video as I think that looks a little strange, but that's all I've thought of so far.

Anyway please let me know what I could work on or what you'd like to see!

Thanks so much,
Alistair

Last edited by a moderator:

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK...
PROS-
Loved the editing...quick...kept my attention...nice to see you in front of the kit and while your probably half my age i think the jacket gave you an air of authority...

in your description (in your intro to the video posted above) don't (IMO) knock yourself...save that for the critics...(would you buy a drum set that was sold as being a little dopey?)
You taught me something.

CON-
I'd like to have heard it with some sort of melody or bass line. Its great that I now can play those beats but when would I use them?....what examples (songs) are out there using this? If I learned this drum beat and wanted my band to play a song where I could use it...it'd be nice to be able to show them a tune where this is being done...even if you had to program a drum machine or sequencer...

looking forward to seeing/hearing more...welcome to the forum.

Curi

Reaction score
dtk said:
OK...
PROS-
Loved the editing...quick...kept my attention...nice to see you in front of the kit and while your probably half my age i think the jacket gave you an air of authority...

in your description (in your intro to the video posted above) don't (IMO) knock yourself...save that for the critics...(would you buy a drum set that was sold as being a little dopey?)
You taught me something.

CON-
I'd like to have heard it with some sort of melody or bass line. Its great that I now can play those beats but when would I use them?....what examples (songs) are out there using this? If I learned this drum beat and wanted my band to play a song where I could use it...it'd be nice to be able to show them a tune where this is being done...even if you had to program a drum machine or sequencer...

looking forward to seeing/hearing more...welcome to the forum.
Love the jacket thing, hadn't thought about that.

Re the description, this is currently an unlisted video so no one but this drum forum can see it (unless they guess the random link haha), I won't do that when I properly release it.

The melody is a really cool idea, do you think linking to songs would be enough to cover where it could be used, or would you rather hear tunes in the video that have it / me just jamming with either someone else or both?

Thank you so much for giving such a detailed response, I really appreciate the feedback!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought the lesson was well produced and overall a good job. However, the concept seemed to go by pretty quickly and probably could have some more depth (or a set of separate video lessons) especially if it's the first time you're hearing the concept or are at a different level experience wise.

Curi

Reaction score
Hop said:
I thought the lesson was well produced and overall a good job. However, the concept seemed to go by pretty quickly and probably could have some more depth (or a set of separate video lessons) especially if it's the first time you're hearing the concept or are at a different level experience wise.
That's a pretty good idea. There's so much stuff within 5s and 7s that can sound awesome, I might do a few videos on it. I don't want to put too much into one video though cos it might get a bit overwhelming, and I don't think I'd be able to make it succinct. Thanks for the feedback :)

Animaaal

Reaction score
I liked the lesson, thought it was pretty right on. It assumes the viewer is intermediate or better, but I think that's part of the point... I'd guess it's aimed at the "now what" student who has the basics down and is looking for the next step. I like this style of video, it's to the point and (with a little rewinding and pausing maybe) it's got all the info you need. I liked the comparison between straight and drag, that was useful.

I learned something from it- I've played drag beats while playing funky soul music but I didn't know what I was playing theory-wise... I didn't know about the 5's and 7's, just never learned that. So thanks, and good vid!