First ROGERS reissue drum set demo (Maxwells)

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everything sounds very similar today, at least to a drummer.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
surf music's back?

lol he's funny 5:00

Last edited:

Ox Han

Reaction score
Many of you have said they sound no different than many drums made today. I'm not picking a fight; I'm looking for examples. What should I be checking out?
I think the first question is why would you buy new rogers drums? IMO, it doesn't really make any sense to pay $3600 (20/12/14) - $4300 (22/12/16) for new Rogers that are trying to sound like old rogers when there are actual vintage Rogers kits w/ beaver tail lugs in really nice condition for $1400-$1800 all over, which don't come with a lot of vintage hassles and money pits. I emphasize beaver tail lugs for a reason.

If you decide you want a vintage sound in a USA made modern kit, there are similar drums for less money than the new Rogers. Prices for 20/12/14 - 22/13/16 based roughly on reverb "new" prices. Most vendors can give a 5-15% discount, which might be true for new Rogers too.

Maple/Poplar with rerings:
Ludwig legacy maple ($3k - $3199)
C&C 12th and Vine ($3199)

Maple/Poplar w/out rings:
Ludwig usa club date ($1699 - $2199)
C&C Player Date II (maple and Luan) - ($1800 - $2k)
Gretsch Brooklyn ($1900 - $2200)
Gretsch Broadkasters (very broad range depending on finish and appointments. Roughly $2399-$4499)

How much sonic difference is there between all of these sets and does it justify the higher price? I guess that's the money question. If you don't need a USA made kit, there are even more choices at better price tags. That's a different topic though

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also cheaper than the new Rogers. I didn't include those because they aren't M/P/M plies.
True and honestly I don’t understand why someone would buy a new Rogers kit. Oh and I meant that regardless of wood type, just basing it off the price..

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a new set, I would definitely be looking at the new Rogers. I am seriously thinking about getting one of the new Rogers snares.

I have had bad experiences buying used drums, so for me, new is the way to go.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like them. But they don't sound like Rogers. I've owned 3 Vintage Rogers kits basing it off of that experience. Still its good seeing the name back in a quality format. But how many Millennial buyers are going to spring for a set.?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's Kenny's full video, for those who want to hear different tuning ranges.

OK, this guy officially drives me crazy. His "zeal spiel" would go down easier if he had his facts straight: These new Rogers shells are 3-ply m/p/m with maple re-rings, not 5-ply. And making such a big deal about how great the toms sustain would seem more genuine if he didn't have Moongel patches on the tom heads. Plus, with his playing style he's not demonstrating any of the qualities that make the Dyna-Sonic such a special and unique snare drum — he just bashes away, no matter what tuning he's using.

Oh, and the main reasons old big-band drummers were able to get so much punch while tuning their drums high? 1) Big drums (see: John Bonham), and 2) Calfskin heads which, unlike plastic heads, retain their warm punch even at high tunings.

Makes me wish Steve Maxwell had a more professional audio recording setup for his videos.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, this guy officially drives me crazy. His "zeal spiel" would go down easier if he had his facts straight: These new Rogers shells are 3-ply m/p/m with maple re-rings, not 5-ply. And making such a big deal about how great the toms sustain would seem more genuine if he didn't have Moongel patches on the tom heads. Plus, with his playing style he's not demonstrating any of the qualities that make the Dyna-Sonic such a special and unique snare drum — he just bashes away, no matter what tuning he's using.

Oh, and the main reasons old big-band drummers were able to get so much punch while tuning their drums high? 1) Big drums (see: John Bonham), and 2) Calfskin heads which, unlike plastic heads, retain their warm punch even at high tunings.

Makes me wish Steve Maxwell had a more professional audio recording setup for his videos.
OK Boomer.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Boomer, shmoomer, it's still a lousy demo.
I agree. I don’t think they sound very clear. Perhaps muddy? I can’t tell if it’s the room, or the drums. It’s a really small room and probably needs more bass traps in them corners. Most likely a combo. That room is smaller than my bedroom studio. Not a good thing for drums.

I’m also not a fan of trying to tune drums to notes. Just make them sound good in whatever room you’re in. Spend hours if you have too.