First time deep cleaning hardware. How to?

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Does this work on cymbals? I’m afraid to try it.
Barkeepers friend has certainly been a cymbal cleaner for lotsa folks, but I think it’s got abrasives in it so you get those swirls. So yeah, I’d think the wood bleach solution would work very well to get grunge off cymbals without leaving swirly scratches and potentially altering the lathing.

Of course you’d need a good size Rubbermaid bin or something that’ll fit your cymbal. Try it on an old splash first, and let us know how it comes out!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you won't regret it. It will come mighty handy cleaning a ton of other things. It is a standard when I repack my bearings as the solvent breaks down the grease and I'm able to see how much metal has worn. I use them for cleaning my airbrushes too. You'd be surprised at what it will clean with just plain water. They ain't cheap! It will pay for itself many, many times over. My uncle will bring in his dentures and bridge and they'll leave my house like new. The bigger, the better. Get one!
Well I ordered a cheap one. If it’s any good I’ll hang onto it. If not I can return it within 45 days.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered a cheap one. If it’s any good I’ll hang onto it. If not I can return it within 45 days.
Don't forget, you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap one at first for 120 dollars and it sucked! The one I replaced it with cost me 230 dollars. Wirth every penny and had paid for itself many times over the last two decades. Good luck!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Barkeepers friend has certainly been a cymbal cleaner for lotsa folks, but I think it’s got abrasives in it so you get those swirls. So yeah, I’d think the wood bleach solution would work very well to get grunge off cymbals without leaving swirly scratches and potentially altering the lathing.

Of course you’d need a good size Rubbermaid bin or something that’ll fit your cymbal. Try it on an old splash first, and let us know how it comes out!

Use Cymbal polish and a high speed car buffer. it takes less than 5 minutes to polish a ride cymbal like new...

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For chrome and aluminum ,use an automatic dishwasher on regular wash.
Stay away from the pots and pans cycle.
Works on hoops too.

jeffintampa

Reaction score
Does this work on cymbals? I’m afraid to try it.
It works on cymbals like crazy. Most would say too good. It's not necessarily abrasive, but it will get into the grooves and tiny pits and eat the microscopic grunge. Now, most will say, and I believe, many NEVER clean cymbals and that thin layer of funk helps to "dry out" the sound. No opinion here on that. But I've had clean cymbals for 60 years.
Uh-oh, not another cymbal cleaning thread!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never tried wood bleach. Sounds interesting. I have some old Tama bass drum parts that I may test this on. Anything that takes out the manual labor of scrubbing and polishing I am game for.