First Time Seller (looking for tips)

Cosh

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have decided that I'm going to try and reduce a lot of my collection of shells and parts but I have never sold anything online.
just wondering if anyone has some pointers, shipping/sites etc. not sure if the best route is eBay, Reverb or just doing it by myself.
I am in Eastern Canada so i can see shipping being a hefty price.
I am not so worried about price, more worried about clearing some space in my storage haha

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't sell yourself short. It takes as much effort to sell and ship a "cheap" item as it does a more expensive version of the same thing.

Don't be unrealistic-know the online and craigslist market. If in doubt-ask. The expertise in this community is priceless and accurate.

Be honest...to a fault. Better a reputation for being too honest than a reputation for misrepresenting your goods.

Start HERE (DFO). Friendly and honest people who will do right by you if you do right by them.

PICTURES. (Period)

Be prepared for some work. It aint easy.

Gotta run. I may be back....lol.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Consider obtaining boxes, packing material, etc first (before listing) so you can get an accurate shipping estimate (volume and weight). Also, if you're pretty much boxed up, you can ship almost immediately on payment.

Boxes are free, but the free ones may take a while to find.

Also you'll need a PayPal (or other payment) account.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Someone here had a great suggestion for cheap filling material: the swimming noodles from a dollar store.
I have only done trades, but as far as shipping goes, it is easier than I thought it would be.
You can do it!

Cosh

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the input, truly means a lot.
i know there are some stainless steel collectors out there so i would be curious of a estimated price of these shells,
i believe the lugs were used on another kit, but i do have mufflers, hoops and bolts/bubble washers for the shells.

Attachments

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Communication! Respond promptly when you receive questions from serious buyers (It's not always evident who is serious, who is simply kicking the tires, and who is phishing, but usually you can get a sense by how they word their questions).

Price items to sell. A markdown of $10 or $20 on a snare that can be purchased new for $300 is not sufficient, even if it's in great shape.

Take lots of pictures from different angles, and make sure they are of good quality and free of clutter in the background.

Have a firm idea of the lowest price you will accept, since most potential buyers will attempt to negotiate. If you're asking price is firm, say so in your ad. Also, be willing to bundle items if the buyer asks. You may not get as much as you planned by selling them individually, but I have found this a good way to get rid of multiple items at one time, reducing the hassle of having to deal with multiple buyers.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of great points. Also, Post Canada has a program for enterprises. It's free to sign up, they give you a card that shaves off a bit on shipping. They have a good ios/android app too.

Have the boxes/shipping material all ready when you put the item up for sale. That way you can get a quick postal quote with actual size/weight of package factored in.

list the size (both diameter and depth) of your shells along with more pics (done like cochlea mentioned)
the devil is in the details.

Don't use gift/family & friends option when using Paypal.

If you include shipping in your prices don't underestimate what it costs.

Take pictures before boxing items & after. Send out tracking number rapidly after expediting.

When selling through Kijiji look for signs of scams, offers involving Western union, stuff like "I"d like to purchase your item", but with no mention of what the item is, generally weird scammy stuff. Good luck!

Ps: I went to high school in Sherbrooke NS. We might know some of the same folk.

Andy Stewart aka funkypoodle

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
1. Price your stuff to sell. Search Google for what you're selling + best price and see what comes up. Do likewise with E Bay, Reverb and SearchTempest; there may be some overlap, but you should come up with enough date to give you a good ballpark figure.

2. For reasonably current stuff, multiply current US retail by .35 or .4. US list price is typically 50% over dealer cost, in my experience. I'm not sure what the rate is in other countries; you'll have to research that. This should given a you a very competitive price. Again, compare this to what similar items have gone for. Certain items - block shell Chris Brady era snares and kits, Sonor Phonic Rosewood, Some Paiste SC Dark cymbals, Wood DynaSonics, Gretsch Round Badge, Turkish Ks - have tended to hold on to their value or appreciate. Pearl Export, vintage Camber, Gretsch Black Hawk, not so much.

3. Announce in your ad that price is firm and shipping/packing/insurance are at buyer's cost. You can help out on packing by doing it yourself. Do a great job here - pack them as though you're shipping your own gear to your next home - save receipts and send pictures before and after packing; also photograph the boxes just before you leave them with the shipper; once you have confirmed receipt of funds, send those and one of the shipping receipt to the buyer. I would not ship without funds in my account first. Set your insurance at a level to cover all buyer costs - that way, if the buyer gets boxes of splinters, the buyer is financially whole and your reputation remains intact.

I hope this helps.

Cosh

Reaction score
A lot of great points. Also, Post Canada has a program for enterprises. It's free to sign up, they give you a card that shaves off a bit on shipping. They have a good ios/android app too.

Have the boxes/shipping material all ready when you put the item up for sale. That way you can get a quick postal quote with actual size/weight of package factored in.

list the size (both diameter and depth) of your shells along with more pics (done like cochlea mentioned)
the devil is in the details.

Don't use gift/family & friends option when using Paypal.

If you include shipping in your prices don't underestimate what it costs.

Take pictures before boxing items & after. Send out tracking number rapidly after expediting.

When selling through Kijiji look for signs of scams, offers involving Western union, stuff like "I"d like to purchase your item", but with no mention of what the item is, generally weird scammy stuff. Good luck!

Ps: I went to high school in Sherbrooke NS. We might know some of the same folk.

Andy Stewart aka funkypoodle
We probably know a lot of the same people, two of my band mates are from Havre Boucher and the other is from St Andrews. (Antigonish/Guysbrough County)

Thanks for the tips!