First World Mini-Rant

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
OK. This is better classified as a minor annoyance than a problem. I always use a drum rug, typically a piece of indoor-outdoor carpeting. My DW5000 bass drum pedal and high-hat pedal have Velcro on the bottom, which may help keep the bass drum and hat from sliding. However, it makes adjusting your pedal almost impossible. Last night, I wanted to slide my pedal just a bit to the side and slide my hats away just a tad. Instead, I had to get off my throne, physically peel up the pedals before making the adjustment, which made it necessary to pick up my bass drum with 2 cymbals and small tom already mounted. A First World problem? Of course, but…

Could I simply remove the Velcro? Probably. But it’s easier to complain. Did DW ever think about this? What is intended to help sometimes makes things more difficult.

afwdrums

Reaction score
how about just a little less Velcro? I'm guessing there is more there than you actually need, and maybe leaving just a little bit would still do the same job in avoiding the creep, while making it a bit easier to adjust slightly if necessary

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have this issue with my Ludwig double pedal. Only use it at home but set up is such a pain trying to adjust it. Don't think I would ever use it at a gig.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Just pull off the velcro, or stick a piece of soft velcro to the piece and pull it off if you ever experience any sliding issues so that you still can get the extra grip.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that on newer pedals like my speed cobra hi hat stand, Tama used a rubber plate stuck to the bottom. This works rather well in my experience and makes it easy to pick up and move around.

I have meant to ditch the velcro on my older pedals and swap it for rubber but haven't yet.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love it and hate it all at the same time. Love it keeping everything In place but hate if I position them incorrectly. The struggle is real.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s funny. I just went to the hardware store the other day to get some Velcro strips to put on the bottom of an old axis hihat stand I recently bought because it kept sliding all over the place and now it just practically glues itself to the carpet ha ha. I probably put too much Velcro but oh well at least it stays put.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, that velcro is a dumb idea. The pedal already has adjustable spurs that can dig in to carpeting to keep it from moving, so the velcro is redundant and as mentioned in the OP, inconvenient.