First Wrap

feelyat

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this may seem trivial to the real builders here, but I wanted to share my first attempt at tearing off and replacing a wrap.

It went...surprisingly well, and I'm happy with the results. This was a 16x16 floor tom that I have been using for a while as a mini-kick using a Pearl Jungle Gig adapter. It's an old Tama Swingstar that I got for about $30 at a pawn shop, but it makes a surprisingly compelling kick drum with the proper heads. I wrapped it in black sparkle, to match a 10x14 6-ply ludwig I use as a hanging floor tom (purchased from a forum member).

jungle-black-1.jpg

It went better than I expected, especially for my first try. Due to bad planning, I left the seam in too conspicuous of a place, rather than the bottom of the drum. I can chalk that up to "lessons learned".

jungle-black-2.jpg

Old Dog

Reaction score
It looks great man. I've been considering something similar. I refurb'd a 16x16 Tama floor tom a while back. Keeping it a floor for now.

I enjoy the "building" type work more than playing I think. Gratifying

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice work! It's always so rewarding when you complete a project with success.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great job and it looks awesome for that price! Did you glue or tape? And do you have any wrap left? I need a small piece of black sparkle....

feelyat

Reaction score
Great job and it looks awesome for that price! Did you glue or tape? And do you have any wrap left? I need a small piece of black sparkle....
I used glue. The wrap I replaced was installed with tape in the factory, I think, and it was bubbling in several places. I figured, why not learn to do it right? The ease with which that factory wrap came off was a good argument for using glue in all future projects.

I bought a piece that was already cut to size, so no scraps.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great job, FeelYat!

Be prepared, though: once you do a successful rewrap, you'll want to do more and more . . . 'cause it's downright fun. (Probably NOT if you are doing it for a living, but it's certainly fun for those of us who can take our time and enjoy the process and the results.)

I hadn't wrapped a drum in many, many years until this year when I wrapped a brand new seven-piece Slingerland kit from John Ollis. I used glue, too, and I'm glad I did. Laying on a wrap with contact cement is a heart-stopping adventure (you get ONE SHOT!), but I think that's part of the fun and the challenge. I probably wouldn't feel that way if I screwed up really bad, but luckily I made only one mistake - and I won't tell you what that was! Fortunately, that mistake is out of view.

The only downside to rewrapping is the cost of wrap. $125 a sheet will force you to be very, very careful!

GeeDeeEmm

feelyat

Reaction score
Right, the economics are definitely not compelling, but the results are. I find that I've been collecting orphan drums here and there, and those are the obvious choice to be my guinea pigs.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For sure do the marker thing - I've learned that from prior wrap jobs! I've never done it w/real 3M glue, though. Taped a few times, and once I used Tite bond wood glue. Where did you get the wrap?

feelyat

Reaction score
Precision. They were doing a repair/rewrap job for me (on a more high value drum), and I had them throw the additional wrap in the box.

I’ll definitely try the marker technique.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice work to be sure... you did good! Since it's an open system, can you not just rotate the drum around moving the seem down and moving all the legs by one bracket?

feelyat

Reaction score
Nice work to be sure... you did good! Since it's an open system, can you not just rotate the drum around moving the seem down and moving all the legs by one bracket?
I could have, until I attached a Pearl-style tom mount to accept the bass riser post. If I were to do that now, I'd have an additional three holes in the side of the drum where the bracket is attached.

jungle-black-hw.jpg

As I said, bad planning

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ahhh, got it. I was unaware how the Pearl system mounted. None the less, nice job on the wrap and the drum looks sharp!

Latest posts