Fitzroy Metal Snare 1920s?

Stalky55

Reaction score
Just purchased an old metal snare from an antiques fair. All intact with strainer etc, including what may be the original stand.
Only marking I can find at the mo is FITZROY DRUM.
Anyone out there heard of this make? I've been drumming since 1968 ( arms are getting tired now! ) and never come across it before.
Very similar in style to an early Ludwig, any info would be appreciated, thanks.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A quick google search seems to suggest that there was a Fitzroy company in England at the beginning of the 20th century that made drums, banjos and ukes.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just purchased an old metal snare from an antiques fair. All intact with strainer etc, including what may be the original stand.
Only marking I can find at the mo is FITZROY DRUM.
Anyone out there heard of this make? I've been drumming since 1968 ( arms are getting tired now! ) and never come across it before.
Very similar in style to an early Ludwig, any info would be appreciated, thanks.
:icon_lol:

Would love to see a pic of it.

A_T_P

Reaction score
I can’t offer any history, just my opinion...Sweet snare! How does it sound? I love the looks of some of these old English drums.

Stalky55

Reaction score
Yes, certainly is. Found a 1926 Premier Deluxe snare yesterday but the man wanted too much for it.
This cost £30 GBP including a pair of sticks, pair of brushes, two bass drum spurs, a vintage bass drum pedal and the wooden box, bargain.

Stalky55

Reaction score
I can’t offer any history, just my opinion...Sweet snare! How does it sound? I love the looks of some of these old English drums.
Has real skin heads and sounds quite crisp. Snare strainer doesn't have a lot of movement so can't stop it at mo but will play about with it when I get a chance.

Pink69

Reaction score
Totally dig the throw off, looks like the tap on a beer keg. A very steampunk looking drum, congrats!

Stalky55

Reaction score
Hard to read but appears to be TOMNAP.
Made in England, patent no 19003.
Would have to dismantle throw off to make sure.