Fix for a stripped screw in a throw off...

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a generic strainer and one of the two screws (drum key tightened) that holds the little bit of metal to the strainer sandwiching the ribbon or snare strings to the strainer...is stripped. I'm going to try jamming a little aluminum foil and/or a toothpick in...to maybe it'll thread. Anyone got an easy fix I should try?

Thanks in advance
dtk

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two of my strainers use phillips screws instead of the drum head screws. Look like 6mm. Anybody have any idea where these short drum head screws can be found in those sizes - 6 and 8mm????

GeeDeeEmm

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does the hole go through?...if so you can use a short screw with a nut on the back side. It might sound a little inconvenient ( you will have to hold the nut while you tighten it ), but how often do you have to change snares?

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does the hole go through?...if so you can use a short screw with a nut on the back side. It might sound a little inconvenient ( you will have to hold the nut while you tighten it ), but how often do you have to change snares?
+1 this... its how i've "fixed" all my P-85 strainers, where the actual "thread" falls out in a single, curly, piece

on Ludwigs, i think its a #6 or #4 nut; probably metric if otherwise

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could always drill and re-tap the strainer. Its not too difficult to do.

Here are some new screws with drum key heads on them that would work:
Thanks, Tommy!

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts