Fixing a "key" hole

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suppose this topic would have been more appropriate under the "cymbal" forum, but I decided to post it here. I have an old 20 inch medium ride and a 16 in medium crash .. both Zildjian. the 20 inch has a minor keyhole and the 16 is developing an ever so smallish crack on the key hole edge so I did some searched and found this article:

https://medium.com/@chriskania/repairing-a-cymbal-with-a-keyhole-notch-5842ad92ea57

I seems simple enough. I;m just concerned about doing more damage applying the grommet. Has anyone here have any experience doing this or is there something better?

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought this 20" Avedis Zildjian medium weight ride cymbal new in 1958. The cymbal was in constant gigging use through 1978. It is still the main ride cymbal for any of the many drum sets I have owned. I got in to acquiring and rehabbing vintage drums about a dozen years ago. For the heck of it, At that time I decided to put a grommet on this cymbal to cover the key-holing that had developed over the years. the grommet has no effect on the cymbal's sound. Let me add that my thinking is that the patina mellows and improves the cymbal's voice. All I have ever done to all of my cymbals is to wipe them off with a soft cloth.....no polishing..........
IMG_0490.JPG

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just tried the Grombal as my old Zildjian 18” that I use for ride/crash has recently showed the signs of ‘keyhole.’ Worked great, easy install. You don’t use a sleeve or felt w/it.
Says it does not need a washer, but I use one, and a thin rubber gasket to hold it in place during transport.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about for hi-hat top cymbals? Grombal, yes or no? Any experience with grommets on hi-hat tops?

Latest posts