Fixing Slingy floor tom bracket

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a late 60s Slingerland floor tom bracket (the kind with the wing screw, not the push button) and the threads are stripped out. Can anyone advise on an effective method for repairing this? Much appreciated!

Greg

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
If the wing screw threads are okay, you may want to try these: http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

You could also tap the stripped threads up one size, but then you would need new screws (wing or otherwise).

Here's a video on helicoil installation:

Last edited by a moderator:

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is really cool! I'll definitely look into that method. It seems like it could work very well.

galaxy08

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried the helicoil and the results were less than desireable. It looks like I'm now in need of a new bracket :oops:

jtmaurer

Reaction score
Well, I tried the helicoil and the results were less than desireable. It looks like I'm now in need of a new bracket :oops:
I restored a 1974 Slingerland drum set with the same problem on 5 of the brackets. Here is what I did. I new a friend that worked in a tool and dye factory. He retapped all the brackets, cut the threads off the tee bolts and welded new ones on to match the tap. I took the t bolts to a chrome plater. It came out perfect. I know this sounds expensive since access to a tool and dye person is limited, but it was a sure fix.

Latest posts