Fixing Vintage Atlas Cymbal Stand

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a couple of older Atlas cymbal stands that need some repair. Specifically, I can’t fold up the legs. When I loosen the wing nut to fold them up, the mechanism is stuck. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well you turn the mechanism. So that a spot where the legs slide up is found. That "U" piece (with the T-bolt thru it; gets a little bent with use, droops and one side of the U and is binding against posttube

Technically could try a pair of channel locs to "square" the "U" but I'll wager the U will droop again and bind. If you pinch the U too strongly with channel locs...it's up to you... but the U will relax again eventually and bind

I have one (black handle) maybe where I have to turn the U-T handle to where the legs glide/fold/ up past avoiding the 'bind spot. It's the way it is Or Crimp the U

Last edited:

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wasn’t able to find a spot where the legs would fold by moving the U piece - very limited movement to be found in that small channel. Maybe I misinterpreted your suggestion, JD.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you're over the target...theres some space you can move T-handle left and right to find a spot where the legs collapse./ fold.
the T-handle closest to the floor ; ) swivel it; does it help.

If not you're really bound up. and need pliers or chanlocks to pinch the U. Pinch the U ...while folding the legs up.

pic from reverb)
pinch from the backside- (the right side in pic.)
not the front where the T-screw is
(the opposite-side-back-side)

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's better. Does the clamp that the wing nut is screwed into move side to side when you loosen the wing nut? It should.

I suspect you have some rust that developed behind the three parts that connect the legs together and possibly the clamp. I would spray some WD-40, PB Blaster or other rust breaking solvent so it gets behinds everything. Perhaps a few gentle raps with a small hammer with several layers of duct tape on the face so you don't ding up the stand. It may take some time and repeated applications but that should loosen things up.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And pinching the U piece seems to have helped a bit. It still wants to stick.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is the part that’s bound up.
exactly because the U has spread--the hole part top and bottom the post goes thru. You can try pinching close the ears of the U bend so that they clear

As Ludwig/General Motors would say .....eventually They all do that.)

Last edited:

Latest posts