Flat Base Tom Stand Workaround

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got two kits set up in my studio. I like simple flat based hardware for the old school kit (PDP Classic Wood Hoop) and double braced hardware for the main larger kit (Noble & Cooley Horizon).

In an effort to keep this PDP Classic as low tech as possible, I finally hit on something.
I didn’t want boom stands and double braced big feet stands amidst these Tama straight flat based stands.

The hanging tom was driving me mad. I don’t like snare stands for this and I didn’t want to do a bass mount. I just couldn’t seem to get it where I wanted without utilizing a large leg stand. Those big ol feet just looked weird next to all the flat based hardware.

I hit on an idea with the Tama cymbal topper.

I put the Cymbal Topper on a Tama flat base cymbal stand and utilized a Ludwig L-Arm.
It’s very stable and doesn’t bounce or tilt or fall. Well grounded.
I’ve already got the Inde mount on it, so it sings beautifully.

I had a similar issue with my high crash in front.
I picked up a PDP mount and ran another Ludwig L-Arm through that, along with the Tama small clamp and a single Tama boom arm. This allowed me to place my crash in my prime spot without the need for a boom stand ... which again looked weird with all the Tama flat base straight stands.

It works for me. Hopefully it will help another member out there with similar struggles.

8DF7B15B-635C-4FC5-80C4-A1AB7609B029.jpeg

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great idea! I appreciate you posting this.

I've been looking for options to conveniently add a 10" tom from time to time to my standard set-up with a single rack tom on the bass drum. I use lightweight stands exclusively and was really hoping for a solution using the Tama stand.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent. I had awaited the double tom flat base stand from SJC as a hail mary because I couldn't find anything else ... they still have not replinished the stock.
It drove me crazy that nobody out there does this. I had a 70s Premier Lokfast flat base double tom stand back in the day. Loved that doggone stand.
A snare stand doesn't allow me to position the tom where I want it ... in front of the snare, which is well into the bass drum. Plus, I just don't like my tom on a snare stand. Looks funky to me.
I've always appreciated the simplicity of flat base hardware for a home setup ... especially when paired with vintage kits ... or in my case, a new kit with an old school wood hoop vibe.

EDIT:
Wanted to add one thing that should be obvious to most all drummers ... but you never know.
When you set the tom on the L-Arm, you need to ensure the tom mount is in line with one of the legs.
That is a basic principle, but I didn't want to let it go unsaid.

Last edited:

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are going to the effort of drilling your drums for mounts, why not use a vintage tom mount off the bass drum?

Also, how do you like the INDe mounts on your toms?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey TommyD ... I honestly didn't want a large tom mount on the bass. I wanted it as simple as possible. The DW and Pacific (and most others) are considerably larger than I was looking for. I considered putting a simple Pacific floor tom leg mount in the center of the bass and utilizing a Tama Cymbal mount with the cymbal topper idea, but it was too involved aesthetically speaking. Like the other drill methods, it just didn't look right to my eyes.

To be honest, if I could locate the correct cymbal arm that is long enough to mount on the longer L-Arm, I would utilize that vice the Tama mount and boom arm. I realize how "wonky" it looks in it's current configuration. I just can't locate one long enough. The Tama one is quite short. The old Ludwigs are a hair too short. ... which brings up another point ... why the heck do they make bass mount cymbal arms so doggone short??? :angry: Even Buddy had them do custom ones for his splashes because they were all too darn short. Come on! Why is this so difficult? It's only been 50 some odd years. You'd think someone would have figured out how to implement some creative engineering on the basic mounts. Unreal.
I actually had an Inde No-Drill mount on the bass for the crash cymbal. I had to pick up a different insert due to the thread differences in the PDP lug and the Inde standard config. I just didn't like the rocking of the cymbal ... remember, the Inde mount is built for flex. That flex moved the cymbal a bit in that position when struck. Not my cup of tea. So I decided to drill, having hit so many walls ... no bass mount cymbal rods long enough.

As to the Inde mounts ... FREEEEEKIN excellent.
I did another thread elsewhere on this site whereby I drilled (gasp!!!) my Noble & Cooley Horizon toms to install the Inde mounts. They are THAT good. For what it's worth, I have several of the No-Drill Inde mounts. I didn't want those for the N&C toms. It didn't place the drum correctly for my setup. I'm extremely anal about my drums, I guess.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve been down this road and took a turn at the fork, I guess. There have been several attempts by me to get it right, or at least the way I wanted.

Mounting toms on the bass never agreed with me when I heard the difference in the bass drum tone. I know drummers claim it doesn’t make a difference to audience but the drummer is the most important person listening to the drums and that’s me!

I had a dw telescoping boom with big gnarly clamps on each end that went onto a cymbal stand and a tube with a snare basket on the other end. I definitely got the sound I wanted from both the bass and tom. They both sounded huge and full, nothing interfered with the tone. But the weight of thie extra metal wasn’t good for gigs, nor was it simple to setup. Worse yet it eventually dented the cymbal tube and the setup got wonky so I ditched it.

I should mention that the tom had little booty shakers underneath and later a Gauger flex frame. The LBS were slightly better sounding to me, but they’d lose their shape and compress too much over time.

Anyway, for positioning the tom, I like your setup using the flat base stand. The only drawback to me is the INDe mount, which I’ve used on various drums and found it doesn’t let the drum sound its best compared to the flex frame and LBS.

If there was some way to attach a snare basket to the top of a flat base stand I’d be buying it tomorrow.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
If there was some way to attach a snare basket to the top of a flat base stand I’d be buying it tomorrow.
You mean for a rack tom? There are several on the market; start with the Tama Classic tom stand, it is taller and has a wider footprint than the regular snare stand.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
You mean for a rack tom? There are several on the market; start with the Tama Classic tom stand, it is taller and has a wider footprint than the regular snare stand.
Nice stand but it doesn’t appear to be flat base. I can’t tell how low the tripod legs can get b

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice stand but it doesn’t appear to be flat base. I can’t tell how low the tripod legs can get b
This is the one:

Latest posts