Flat Bearing Edges?

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
My understanding is that among the benefits/characteristics of round-over bearing edges is that more of the edge is in contact with the drum head, which tends to dampen the drum head slightly and which engages more of the tone of the shell in the overall sound of the drum. In light of that, how would a flat bearing edge sound? Have any of you tried that with one of your drums, or played a drum with a flat bearing edge? Any personal experiences or opinions are appreciated. Please, no bickering or disparaging comments. Thanks!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Meazzi Hollywood Max Roach kit, Beech shells with flat edges. And I mean totally flat and square. They sounded great, not dead at all and very punchy. Jerry Jenkins bought them from me and now the kit resides in Canada, owned by “He who must not be named”

DE2E5CED-105A-433C-847B-AE5A7931524F.jpeg

A5F2FC0C-1EFD-492A-856A-EE1427F24D38.jpeg

Last edited:

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I bought a 71' Jazz Fest snare on CL that had no edges. Not even a snare bed. I honestly think they forgot to put them on or just blew it off to get more product out the door. Sounded like crap. I sent it off to Precision Drum and had them put period correct edges on it. Sounds wonderful now.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first pro kit was a 1978 Gretsch kit that I bought brand new . The snare drum had no bearing edge or snare bed on it . No wonder the snare sounded like crap .

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I had a Meazzi Hollywood Max Roach kit, Beech shells with flat edges. And I mean totally flat and square. They sounded great, not dead at all and very punchy. Jerry Jenkins bought them from me and now the kit resides in Canada, owned by “He who must not be named”

View attachment 443913

View attachment 443914
Flat and square is exactly what I mean. That would leave the full thickness of the shell in contact with the drum head.

PS: He who must not be named? Canadian?

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This and this. I hope someone can give a good explanation of how these edges affect sound for you, definately warm ,full, great tone, sensitive.
I don't understand "this & this" with these two drums. FLAT edges? Like square? Or just not 45 degrees? Pictures of the edges on these two drums available?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Flat and square is exactly what I mean. That would leave the full thickness of the shell in contact with the drum head.

PS: He who must not be named? Canadian?
Yes, the full edge was in contact with the head.

“He who must not be named” is a joke. :) Ronn Dunnett owns the kit, he bought it from Jerry.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
It would depend on the width of the contact edge. If it's no more than 1/8" flat it would probably take a good set of ears to hear a difference between it and a round over.

If you buy a complete drum made by a lone builder with a flat edge(s) it's likely because after truing they finished the drum without final shaping and said F-it or they never do the final shaping as course. You read all the time about custom drums having no resale, and part of the reason for that is flawed drums with fine furniture finishes.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you saying those 2 drums have flat edges ???
Actualy no, my mistake, I might have confused flat edges with round edges, two different things, these snares I showed have good roundovers edges, although on the 60s drum the edges and beds were a bit flat so after much thought I sent it to Gary Noonan, he really thought so, and he trued them up, still a roundover, it sounds amazing now.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't understand "this & this" with these two drums. FLAT edges? Like square? Or just not 45 degrees? Pictures of the edges on these two drums available?
See my replies above, here some pics of the original edges, not perfect for our purposes I know, but you can see they look a bit rough and brittle, with some ring splits. There's a three pics of the 40s Krupa model.

Attachments

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
See my replies above, here some pics of the original edges, not perfect for our purposes I know, but you can see they look a bit rough and brittle, with some ring splits. There's a three pics of the 40s Krupa model.
Thanks.