Flat rides - Who's got 'em, loves 'em or hates 'em

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Here's a Matt Nolan flat ride. 20" and ~2000 grams made from German B20. Just a lovely flat.

YES!!!! THAT IS WHAT A FLAT RIDE IS SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE!!!
THANK YOU MATT NOLAN! YOU'RE DEFINATELY THE MAN. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Freewill3

Reaction score
I've picked up the 20" Paiste 602 medium flat and the 20" Zildjian K light flat within the past year. I love 'em both! I have a 2 ride set up and put them both up for a while. Never had an appreciation for flats before. My playing volume has calmed down over the years so maybe it's just an appreciation of the articulation (I'm going to copyright that!) They do after all, really expose your time, no big wash to get lost in. The stick on both of these are lovely and find myself choosing one of them once a month or so to pair with regular rides.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Here's a Matt Nolan flat ride. 20" and ~2000 grams made from German B20. Just a lovely flat.

What an amazingly long delay between the initial ping/click and the onset of the wash. It that one of the reasons you love it?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What an amazingly long delay between the initial ping/click and the onset of the wash. It that one of the reasons you love it?
That's mobile phone recording compression. The stick is very close to the mic, so the wood click is louder than the cymbal sound and the compression immediately shuts down, then opens up , which makes the cymbal wash seem to have a slow onset.

curly

Reaction score
That's mobile phone recording compression. The stick is very close to the mic, so the wood click is louder than the cymbal sound and the compression immediately shuts down, then opens up , which makes the cymbal wash seem to have a slow onset.
I agree with this. The wash is pretty integrated in person.

larold

Reaction score
I used to have a pre-split heavy 20” Istanbul flat ride that was a great ping ride. I had a thin 22” Bosphorus Masters flat, which I hated. The guy who bought it from me loved it.

I haven’t heard one in person, but the videos I’ve seen of the Agop Xist Dry Dark flat ride sound absolutely terrible to me. The crashes in that series are quite another matter.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Daniel Humair uses a round piece of sheet metal with a hole in the middle, sounds good. I think with a flat you want that high-end sizzle/shimmer, listen to the last tone of the video.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Daniel Humair uses a round piece of sheet metal with a hole in the middle, sounds good.
Back when I started playing, a - very good - local drummer did the same: just a 20" round piece of sheet metal, no profile, no hammering, just the raw stuff cut to shape with a hole in the middle. Sounded just like the real thing.